Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kenichi

How many connections are supported by one On Premises Date Gateway(Personal);

Hi,

I want to connect hundreds Datasets on PowerBI web to Data sources via one "On Premises Date Gateway(Personal)".

Do you know how many connections are supported by one gateway?

Thank you in advance

Best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @Kenichi ,

There is no limit to the number of connections that your gateway can have.  The limits will come in with performance and capacity.  And, since you are dealing with a personal machine, you will have limits on internet/network bandwidth, capacity of your machine (CPU and RAM), and any other limits that might be unique to yourself.  And, then you have to think of the data itself - is it large or small data that you are moving as that can effect your speed.  As can concurrency of refreshing them.

That said, if you are writing a report with lots of data sources that are web based, then you can just use the Service and don't need a gateway.  The rule of thumb is that you have a cloud data source your don't need a gateway.

But, even if you do not use a gateway, it is not the number of data connections you have but the types and capacity of your machine, connection type and so on.

The real limits within Power BI itself will be rows, data size, type of connection and that will affect you most likely before you are done with all of your connections.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

HI @Kenichi ,

There is no limit to the number of connections that your gateway can have.  The limits will come in with performance and capacity.  And, since you are dealing with a personal machine, you will have limits on internet/network bandwidth, capacity of your machine (CPU and RAM), and any other limits that might be unique to yourself.  And, then you have to think of the data itself - is it large or small data that you are moving as that can effect your speed.  As can concurrency of refreshing them.

That said, if you are writing a report with lots of data sources that are web based, then you can just use the Service and don't need a gateway.  The rule of thumb is that you have a cloud data source your don't need a gateway.

But, even if you do not use a gateway, it is not the number of data connections you have but the types and capacity of your machine, connection type and so on.

The real limits within Power BI itself will be rows, data size, type of connection and that will affect you most likely before you are done with all of your connections.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi, @collinq

I'm considering these structure.

If you notice any concern, I appreciate the additional comment.

- Connection

Atlassian JIRA -> JIRA addon for connection with PowerBI -> Gateway -> PowerBI cloud

- Refresh

Hundreds of Datasets on PowerBI cloud are my own.

So I can control every Dataset refresh schedule time

I considering refresh Datasets sequentially one by one, by shifting each refresh time.

I understand bulk refresh will put a load on Gateway PC and also JIRA server.

hey @Kenichi ,

From a technical perspective that should work, but does make for a lot of admin work on you and makes for a potential load as you mention, but, it should work.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi, @collinq

Thank you so much for your point of view!

I will try it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors