Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Makoto_Iwamoto

How can I show PowerBI report in premium capacity to free license user?

Hi

I created PowerBI Report and I would like to show it to colleague. They don’t need to modify it, so Viewer role is sufficient for them. They have only PowerBI free license of Office 365 E3. I don’t like to give Pro license to them. But it is allowed to me to purchase some reasonable paid license such as Premium Per User (PPU).

I found the following guidance in PowerBI document. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-new-workspaces)

“Users without a Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license can access a new workspace if the workspace is in a Power BI Premium capacity, but only if they have the Viewer role.”

“When the new workspace is in a Power BI Premium capacity, users with the Viewer role can access the workspace even if they don't have a Power BI Pro or Premium Per User (PPU) license.”

So, after I got PPU trial license, I created a premium capacity workspace, and put my dataset and report in it, then assigned Viewer role for the report to them.

However, they ware prompted to start a Pro trial when they try to access the report.

I also found the following chart in document. (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-per-user-faq) It is little confusing for me.

Makoto_Iwamoto_0-1619606426113.png

Is it possible to show my PowerBI report to them who has only free license?           If yes, how can I do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The thing is PPU is not the same as workspace with Premium Capacity. The PPU license can only share with another PPU. The only way to share with Free users is paying for Power Bi Premium Capacity license (P1, P2, etc). Those are not license by people. It's a license for the whole tenant. The initial cost is like 5K USD and there is NO trial version.

That kind of capacity with the diamon next to the workspace will let you share with free viewers. The PPU will generate a diamon with a person letting you know that's a workspace with special capacities ONLY for PPU users.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The thing is PPU is not the same as workspace with Premium Capacity. The PPU license can only share with another PPU. The only way to share with Free users is paying for Power Bi Premium Capacity license (P1, P2, etc). Those are not license by people. It's a license for the whole tenant. The initial cost is like 5K USD and there is NO trial version.

That kind of capacity with the diamon next to the workspace will let you share with free viewers. The PPU will generate a diamon with a person letting you know that's a workspace with special capacities ONLY for PPU users.

I hope that make sense

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors