Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

likhithar
Helper III
Helper III

How Excel files will be taken for Incremental Refresh

Hello All,

I'm having sales file for every month,and I'm maintaining sales files in sales folder.In Power BI Desktop,I imported in folder format and combined sales files.As each is having each file in that folder(jan sales as jan-20 ,Feb sales as feb-20etc).

I'm refresh data in Power BI Desktop it will read all the data.In power BI service,if incremental refresh is enabled for that sales table,How it will know to read exactly the correct file(consider for jul-20 I imported the data and published to service).Now I placed Aug-20 File in the folder.How Power BI Service knows it has to read Aug-20 file only??

Period date will be maintaining for each file and modified date for Incremental Refresh (frequency is every month)

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

@likhithar Frankly with a monthly refresh cadence I would not bother setting up incremental refresh.

@likhithar 

Since you want to ingest Excel files your only option for incremental refresh would be the Last Modified Date of the file itself.  That will only work well if files from prior months will no longer be modified.  The moment you have data restatements in prior files you can pretty much forget about incremental refresh anyway, unless you choose a large enough window (for example "keep last five years and refresh last six months").

Power BI Incremental Refresh is designed to work with incoming data that is immutable. It is not well suited for data that keeps changing after the fact (ie the majority of real world business transaction data).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors