Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IvanKostov
Frequent Visitor

Giving Free Users Read-Only Access to a Workspace or an App

Hello, 

I would like an advice on licenses for Power BI Service. 

When implementing Power BI in my company, my team was unaware of the exact specifics for the licenses.

It was decided that I as main creator will have one PPU license, a couple colleagues will have Pro and everyone else will have a free accounts because they just need to read the reports.

As I understood from multiple sources, free users are not able to access any Workspace / App content. 

1. Is there any convenient workaround without having to acquire Pro / Premium licenses to give users Read-only access? (even unorthodox solutions like publishing to a private server on web are welcome) 

2. I initially made all workspaces to be Premium. Is there a way to convert them to Pro?

3. Is it possible as compromise that all colleagues share one Account (accessing of Power BI through one account simultaneously?

We are a small company and only about 15 people would need to regularly use the dashboards. Unfortunately the budget is very limited for this purpose at the moment.

Thank you for the cooperation! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KIL2022
Regular Visitor

KIL2022_0-1685982144044.png

But beware, you can also share the data with third parties if you know how to do it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
KIL2022
Regular Visitor

The complete Walk trough for Sharepoint

KIL2022_0-1686067913697.png

KIL2022_1-1686067925957.png

KIL2022_2-1686067961575.png

this should work.

And here the Problem, if you look in the code of the side:
you can find the URL, with 2 steps in editor you can modifiy the URL and make it visible for third party

KIL2022_3-1686068007641.png

KIL2022
Regular Visitor

As said, with this solution the visitor does not need a license to read the report.

But and therefore the warning, if you implement it this way, e.g. in the internal sharepoint, a "capable" user can copy the link via the page code, simply edit it and provide it to third parties.

IvanKostov
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response!

And Is it viable that multiple employees use one account? 

KIL2022
Regular Visitor

KIL2022_0-1685982144044.png

But beware, you can also share the data with third parties if you know how to do it.

Thanks for the answer, 

and is it possible to still protect the report so that it is not seen by users external from the organization? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors