Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yosefmaru

Get Data from AWS Redshift on PowerBI Service

I am new to PowerBI. I might be missing something obvious here. How do I connect to AWS Redshift from PowerBI Service (Pro)? I was able to do that from PowerBI desktop by using the Get Data option.  I have also learned that Get Data button was removed on the recent changes on PowerBI Service but I couldn't figure out the alternative way to connect to Redshift.

3 REPLIES 3
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @yosefmaru 

What you need to do is to connect via Power BI Desktop.

Then you need to install and configure the Power BI Gateway with a data source to Redshift. Finally upload your Power BI desktop file to the Power BI Service. Then you connect it to your data source.

You can view all the details here (Specifically from the section "Installing and configuring a Microsoft on-premises data gateway")

Integrate Power BI with Amazon Redshift for insights and analytics | AWS Big Data Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

I guess my question is, can I pull data from AWS redshift on Power BI Service (browser) without using Power BI desktop? I don't want authors to download PowerBI Desktop on their machine. I am wondering if they will be able to create reports/visualization solely on the browser. Much like what you can do on AWS QuickSight.

Hi @yosefmaru 

You could do this in Fabric if you wanted to. Otherwise you would need a gateway to refresh the datasets.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors