Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EDDD

Gateway with SSAS DirectQuery - This report could not access its data source.

Hi,

When I open a report based on my SSAS tab, I get "This report could not access its data source. please contact <Developer>, the author, to have it fixed"

I have a Windows Server with :
- SQL Server and SSAS Instance
- PowerBI Gateway service running with local admin
- Local user who have access to SQL Database and SSAS (MACHINE NAME \ User Name) with administrator right on windows machine, SQL Server and SSAS - I don't have Active Directory
- Opened port for SSAS

I could connect to SSAS with Excel using the Ip address and local user account.

The PBI gateway status is Ok on this server.

On PowerBi Service :
- I have an Power Bi Pro account with a mail/domain not related to Microsoft or my server (remember => which use local user)
- Gateway is online
- I have add a datasource related to my SSAS tabular on my server with local machine credentials -> connection is ok and automatic refresh is done each hour with success

I can't connect to SSAS with PowerBI Desktop
I can't connect to SSAS with PowerBI Service (create a report using this dataset or refresh an existing report)

When I look into Events Viewer for my SSAS connection, I have :

Account For Which Logon Failed:
Security ID: NULL SID
Account Name:
Account Domain:

It seems that SSAS can't retrieve any user ...

I've found this : Manage your data source - Analysis Services - Power BI | Microsoft Docs but in this case, there is an AD (and me not)

I can't use import because lots of data ... I need direct query.

Thank you for help !

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EDDD ,

Have you mapped the username for the Analysis Services data source? Power BI service sign-in names don't always match your local directory UPN, so we need to manually map Power BI service sign-in names to usernames with permissions for Analysis Services data sources. Please refer to Map user names for Analysis Services data sources in the documentation.
Manage your data source - Analysis Services - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Other answers that may be helpful.

Other_answers

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_Gao

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors