Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Foxed by error refreshing is server, but not in desktop related to rebuilding queries

Hi

This model refreshes abslutely fine in desktop, but onpublishing get this error.   I thoguht you avoided this by staging the queries before merging which is what I think I have done. 

This is Query code so bringing in phoneUser data from a staging query that gets that data form the database.

let
    Source = Sql.Database("ABC", "softphone", [Query="
    SQL Query

"]),
    #"Extracted Date" = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"StatusDate", DateTime.Date, type date}}),
    #"Inserted Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Extracted Date", "Date", each Date.From([StatusEndDT]), type date),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Date",{{"StatusDate", "StatusStartDate"}, {"Date", "StatusEndDate"}}),
    #"Extracted Time" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{{"StatusStartDT", DateTime.Time, type time}}),
    #"Renamed Columns2" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Time",{{"StatusEndDT", "StatusEndTime"}}),
    #"Extracted Time1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns2",{{"StatusEndTime", DateTime.Time, type time}}),
    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Time1",{{"StatusStartDT", "StatusStartTime"}}),
    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Id", "PhoneUserId", "StatusStartDate", "StatusStartTime", "StatusEndDate","StatusEndTime", "Status"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Reordered Columns",{{"StatusStartDate", Order.Ascending}, {"StatusStartTime", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Sorted Rows", {"PhoneUserId"}, PhoneUser, {"Id"}, "PhoneUser", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded PhoneUser" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "PhoneUser", {"AdviserId"}, {"Adviser ID"})
in
    #"Expanded PhoneUser"

Can someone tell me what is wrong with this? 

Thanks 

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

So if anyone else gets this error it is becuase I didn't stage my queries fully.  This was the instruction from support whoich has fixed it. Pity that this error isn't apparennt when you are building in desktop nor is the error message terribly helpful. 

The error is due to reference to external query – “PhoneUser” in a query that access external data. We cannot have the query that directly accesses a data source also have a reference to external query.

To remediate this, try the steps below:

1. Create a blank query and name the query as StatusLogList
  2. Add the following statement to the query:

let

Source = Sql.Database("ABC", "softphone", [Query="SQL Query"]),

In

Source

1. Update the existing query for StatusLog as follows:

let    Source = StatusLogList    #"Extracted Date" = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"StatusDate", DateTime.Date, type date}}),    #"Inserted Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Extracted Date", "Date", each Date.From([StatusEndDT]), type date),    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Date",{{"StatusDate", "StatusStartDate"}, {"Date", "StatusEndDate"}}),    #"Extracted Time" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{{"StatusStartDT", DateTime.Time, type time}}),    #"Renamed Columns2" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Time",{{"StatusEndDT", "StatusEndTime"}}),    #"Extracted Time1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns2",{{"StatusEndTime", DateTime.Time, type time}}),    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Time1",{{"StatusStartDT", "StatusStartTime"}}),    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Id", "PhoneUserId", "StatusStartDate", "StatusStartTime", "StatusEndDate","StatusEndTime", "Status"}),    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Reordered Columns",{{"StatusStartDate", Order.Ascending}, {"StatusStartTime", Order.Ascending}}),    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Sorted Rows", {"PhoneUserId"}, PhoneUser, {"Id"}, "PhoneUser", JoinKind.LeftOuter),    #"Expanded PhoneUser" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "PhoneUser", {"AdviserId"}, {"Adviser ID"})in    #"Expanded PhoneUser"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@masplin - Very difficult to troubleshoot these kinds of things. @ImkeF and @edhans might be able to tell what is going on but you might have better luck checking the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi Greg

Spent 2 weeks gettinmg the modle working and now cant get it to refresh!!!

I have pro account so wil ltry that. I stripped out the merge in this query which got rid of that error , but replaced with an evenmore nonsense simialr error!!!  i havent had issues before with something working in desktop but not on theservice so must be quite obscure.

Thanks

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

So if anyone else gets this error it is becuase I didn't stage my queries fully.  This was the instruction from support whoich has fixed it. Pity that this error isn't apparennt when you are building in desktop nor is the error message terribly helpful. 

The error is due to reference to external query – “PhoneUser” in a query that access external data. We cannot have the query that directly accesses a data source also have a reference to external query.

To remediate this, try the steps below:

1. Create a blank query and name the query as StatusLogList
  2. Add the following statement to the query:

let

Source = Sql.Database("ABC", "softphone", [Query="SQL Query"]),

In

Source

1. Update the existing query for StatusLog as follows:

let    Source = StatusLogList    #"Extracted Date" = Table.TransformColumns(Source,{{"StatusDate", DateTime.Date, type date}}),    #"Inserted Date" = Table.AddColumn(#"Extracted Date", "Date", each Date.From([StatusEndDT]), type date),    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Date",{{"StatusDate", "StatusStartDate"}, {"Date", "StatusEndDate"}}),    #"Extracted Time" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns",{{"StatusStartDT", DateTime.Time, type time}}),    #"Renamed Columns2" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Time",{{"StatusEndDT", "StatusEndTime"}}),    #"Extracted Time1" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Renamed Columns2",{{"StatusEndTime", DateTime.Time, type time}}),    #"Renamed Columns1" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Time1",{{"StatusStartDT", "StatusStartTime"}}),    #"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Id", "PhoneUserId", "StatusStartDate", "StatusStartTime", "StatusEndDate","StatusEndTime", "Status"}),    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Reordered Columns",{{"StatusStartDate", Order.Ascending}, {"StatusStartTime", Order.Ascending}}),    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Sorted Rows", {"PhoneUserId"}, PhoneUser, {"Id"}, "PhoneUser", JoinKind.LeftOuter),    #"Expanded PhoneUser" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "PhoneUser", {"AdviserId"}, {"Adviser ID"})in    #"Expanded PhoneUser"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors