Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mebden

Failed to update data source credentials when refreshing from Sharepoint list

I have a set of data which is input into a Sharepoint list, for which I have constructed reports against using PowerBI desktop.

Once finalised, I published the data to app.powerbi.com under my workspace, but now it is unable to refresh.

It's using the same connection credentials as I did in desktop (Office365 account) but does not seem to want to work.

Have run out of ideas. Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mebden,

Do you connect to SharePoint Online list in Power BI? If so, I test the scenario as yours and I can successfully enter credential and refresh the dataset in Power BI Service.

Have you enabled Multi-factor authentication(MFA) in your environment? If so, the above error will throw in this case and this behavior is by design. The workaround is to disable the MFA for the account.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@mebden,

Do you connect to SharePoint Online list in Power BI? If so, I test the scenario as yours and I can successfully enter credential and refresh the dataset in Power BI Service.

Have you enabled Multi-factor authentication(MFA) in your environment? If so, the above error will throw in this case and this behavior is by design. The workaround is to disable the MFA for the account.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft wrote:

@mebden,

Regards,
Lydia

When you say 'disable the MFA for the account' - which account ar you referring to?

I have the same issue and every combination of the options below gives me an error. Are there no other options here? Data Source Configuration - Power BIData Source Configuration - Power BI

Yes, we are using MFA per Microsoft security recommended design for Office 365.

So having MFA not permitted seems a little short-sighted.

Would it work if we used App passwords instead? Or is this not going to work when pulling any type of data from a Sharepoint backend?

@mebden,

We need to use OAuth auth type to connect to SharePoint Online. The temporary solution in your scenario is to disable MFA. 

Meanwhile, you can vote up this idea.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors