Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gellmann94
Frequent Visitor

Failed to update data source credentials for postgreSQL server in PowerBI Service

The full error message is :Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond'.

This happens in the PowerBI Service when I go to schedule a refresh for the data source.

The connection works fine in PowerBI Desktop, I can refresh the dataset without problems.

Is there any way to solve this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gellmann94 ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Frequent Visitor

@michaelshparber

Hi, I have the same problem. Could you solve it?

michaelshparber
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi @gellmann94 

Did you manage to make it work?

How?

Thanks

@v-lid-msft  I use personal GW, same error

Please help

Thanks

v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gellmann94 ,

How about the result after you follow the suggestions mentioned in my original post?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-lid-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gellmann94 ,

Sorry for late reply, could you please check the valid status of credentials in dataset or under the gateway?

7.PNG8.PNG

Have you tried to upgrade to the latest version if you are using the on-premises data gateway?

Best regards,

Hi @v-lid-msft ,

When I Edit the credentials, I get this error message:

"Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"

I need to use personal GW, in enterprise it works OK

Please help

Thank you

Michael

Hi @michaelshparber ,

Since your credential can work in the Enterprise Gateway, we think the credential may be valid, the personal gateway mayhave the issue, could you please try to update the personal gateway to the latest version? Does the personal gateway run in the machine which have access to the source?

Best regards,

@v-lid-msft 

Yes, the personal gateway is installed on the same machine as the enterprise GW.

The machine has access to postgreSQL data source.

I can successfully connect to it through enterprise GW but the personal GW doesn't allow me to enter the credentials.

The personal GW works fine when I connect to SQL Server but not postgreSQL...

I also tried to enter false credentials just to check - and the error is the same.

So I think something is stopping it before it even reaches the data source...

I tried to enter the name of the server including port and without port, the error is the same...

This is the error:

Failed to update data source credentials: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

Please help!

Thank you!

I am facing the same issue, can you please help me if you were able to resolve it.

Hi @michaelshparber , I have the same problem. Could you solve it?

Please help!

Thank you!

Please may I know, how did you managed to fix? My datasource is counting emails from outlook and its shared mailbox. It is working perfectly fine in Desktop and it worked before in service too but now it is not working in Service and I am getting data credential issues as below

Sudhakar510_0-1677511507836.png

Please help

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors