Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Extract/Pull Data from Excel document along with the cell colors in to power bi dashboard

Hi Team,

We have a requirement to pull/extract the data from excel doc along with the cell colors into power bi dash board as it is in excel doc also it should change dynamically whenever the user changes the cell colors in the source excel doc. can this be doable . please suggest  the process.

Thanks & rgerads,

Sravani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you pull the data into Power BI, you are pulling the data and not the formatting.  So, natively, no, you can not pull in the color.  However, what you could do is recreate the formula in Power BI so that it does the conditional color formatting.  If there is not a formula and it is just the user highlighting a field then I would suggest adding another column to Excel (call it "color" or whatever you need) and then you can use that field as your conditional format field in Power BI.  (ie. if the color field in Excel is "blue" then in you conditional formatting you use the "color column" to format the "data column").

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you pull the data into Power BI, you are pulling the data and not the formatting.  So, natively, no, you can not pull in the color.  However, what you could do is recreate the formula in Power BI so that it does the conditional color formatting.  If there is not a formula and it is just the user highlighting a field then I would suggest adding another column to Excel (call it "color" or whatever you need) and then you can use that field as your conditional format field in Power BI.  (ie. if the color field in Excel is "blue" then in you conditional formatting you use the "color column" to format the "data column").

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors