Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

maryjanesmith
Helper I
Helper I

Export to pdf or power point from power bi service- font family changes

Hi everyone!

I have an issue. When I export to pdf or power point the reports from power bi service the font family changes. The font family that I use is Neo Sans. I have to create a json file to do that. In power bi service you can see that is neo sans (but the text is a little bit distorted than in power bi desktop) When I export the font family is different. Is the same as if you didn't have the font family installed in your computer) Can you help please?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @maryjanesmith ,

According to the documents, when you export the reports to PDF/PPT, the font will be the default format.

Export reports to PowerPoint :

When exporting to PowerPoint, if the report uses a custom font, that font will be replaced with a default font.

Export reports from Power BI to PDF :

When exporting to PDF, reports using themes with custom fonts will have the custom font replaced with a default font.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Sh_Mnty
Regular Visitor

I kinda found a workaround. It’s a bit tricky, but it does the job!

When you use custom themes in PowerBI and try to export to PowerPoint or PDF from the web service, PowerBI will automatically use the default fonts. But there’s a way around this.

You can use PowerBI Desktop to export to PDF. The great thing is that this PDF will maintain your theme fonts. Once you have your PDF, you can then export it to PowerPoint.

This method also gives you more flexibility to edit certain items. While some items might export as images, many will export as text boxes, allowing you to make changes if needed.

Just a heads up - sometimes, some slides might duplicate elements for unknown reasons. So, keep an eye out for that when you’re editing.

Hope this helps!

Anurag_Yadav

Font that I am using is installed in my system (Local machine) but still when i export it in PPT or PDF its getting changed to some different font.
Whether I use export to PPT or PDF option or do it through Subscription facing the same issue.
How can I resolve this!!

v-kkf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @maryjanesmith ,

According to the documents, when you export the reports to PDF/PPT, the font will be the default format.

Export reports to PowerPoint :

When exporting to PowerPoint, if the report uses a custom font, that font will be replaced with a default font.

Export reports from Power BI to PDF :

When exporting to PDF, reports using themes with custom fonts will have the custom font replaced with a default font.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information or the expected result you expect. Let me know immediately, looking forward to your reply.
Best Regards,
Winniz
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @maryjanesmith ,

For a customized font to be seen in the Service the font in question needs to be installed locally on your machine.  To be clear, the customized font has to be on every machine locally that you want it to display for.  So, if you are using custom font you will need to install it locally.

AND, I have been told that some browsers don't play nice with customized fonts so you may have to do some browser magic as well to have it appear in the browser of choice.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Font that I am using is installed in my system (Local machine) but still when i export it in PPT or PDF its getting changed to some different font.
Whether I use export to PPT or PDF option or do it through Subscription facing the same issue.
How can I resolve this!!

HI @Anurag_Yadav ,

As @v-kkf-msft stated, custom fonts are replaced with default fonts when exporting:

Export reports to PDF - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi @collinq,
Thanks for your revert, Is there any work around for this.

Hey @Anurag_Yadav ,

There is no work around for this at this time.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors