Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chellemcg

Export from Power BI report embedded in SharePoint Online web part

I have embedded a Power BI report in a SharePoint Online Power BI web part in a modern site page. Users can view the data, filter it, and move between the various report pages. However there does not appear to be an option to export the data to Excel. Is it not possible to retrieve the underlying data from the report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @chellemcg ,

one thing upfront, I don't know if it's possible to dwonload the underlying data when the report is embedded in Sharepoint.

But check the following requirements to be able to download in general:

If you can or cannot export the underlying data depends if the user has the build permission:

Build permission for shared datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The permission can be set by user individually or by AD group.

Also be aware that you can disable the export in the report itself:

selimovd_0-1619108684662.png

So you might have to check both options.

If both options are set correctly check if the user can download in PowerBI Service. Then check if it's possible in the embedded Sharepoint.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chellemcg ,

The export data function supports in power bi embbed (it is not supported in publish to web). As mentioned by selimovd, you should have build permission on the dataset and you set correctly in power bi desktop.  

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @chellemcg ,

one thing upfront, I don't know if it's possible to dwonload the underlying data when the report is embedded in Sharepoint.

But check the following requirements to be able to download in general:

If you can or cannot export the underlying data depends if the user has the build permission:

Build permission for shared datasets - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

The permission can be set by user individually or by AD group.

Also be aware that you can disable the export in the report itself:

selimovd_0-1619108684662.png

So you might have to check both options.

If both options are set correctly check if the user can download in PowerBI Service. Then check if it's possible in the embedded Sharepoint.

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors