Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kijgkijdds
Frequent Visitor

'Export data' tenant settings, download pbix, and power bi data sets

We are trying to build a data-driven environment within our organization in which people have access to development workspaces in which they can copy and alter reports to their own needs. We are working with central data sets and want to avoid people to download the pbix and modify and overwrite / create new data sets. According to an earlier forum post, disabling the download pbix feature is only possible with the 'export data' tenant setting. This setting also removes the option to analyze in excel and, most importantly, to connect to Power BI datasets.

This absolutely makes no sense to me. We want to avoid people modifying datasets, and the only option that ensures this destroys the obvious solution so that people can still create their own reports. Please tell me I am missing something, because this just sounds bizarre.

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Just because they can download the PBIX does not mean that they can republish back to the Service and change the dataset.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Greg, could you please clarify your statement? Even the existence of alternative datasets alongside the 'main' one would be an issue.

@kijgkijdds - This is really a governance kind of issue. While I do agree it would be nice to have more granularity in export options if you handle your governance correctly this should not be an issue. For example.

• Create a workspace in the Service where you are the owner for example
  • Give people Read access
  • People can download PBIX
  • People cannot publish the PBIX back to the workspace to overwrite or publish a duplicate because they only have Read access

If you want to control them while they have the PBIX locally, you can look at Azure Information Protection tagging as Power BI now respects AIP tags.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors