Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tvanstraelen
Frequent Visitor

Export Data - Data with current layout not keeping correct date format

Hello,

I have a report in Power BI service with some date fields in it.
As the language of my browser is Dutch, the correct date format 'dd/mm/yyyy' is shown in the report.

tvanstraelen_0-1642085645821.png

Exporting this data to Excel - With current layout, the date fields are now in the format 'mm/dd/yyyy' and the format in Excel is 'custom'.

tvanstraelen_1-1642085734710.png

When exported to Excel - Summarized data, the date is in the correct format 'dd/mm/yyyy' and the format of the field in Excel is 'Date'.

tvanstraelen_2-1642085970131.png

Has anybody else the same issue ?

It looks like a bug.

T.

6 REPLIES 6
SimHart_CS2
Regular Visitor

In case anyone on this thread has not solved, I found the solution on another thread. When authoring in PBI desktop, do not use the formats prefixed by an asterisk as the service will convert to the system / browser date format. Although this isn't a problem viewing your report when you have set your format settings correctly in your browser, PBI service doesn't take this into account when exporting to Excel (at least not with the newer 'current layout' option)

Use the non asterisk version and your export to Excel woes should be gone.
SimHart_CS2_0-1659570172813.jpeg

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I export using this it comes in mm/dd/yyyy format

markskinnernz_0-1645491526410.png

When I use this the date format is correct d/mm/yyyy

markskinnernz_1-1645491571860.png

I have checked browser, regional date/time settings and Excel Date time formats and all set to d/mm/yyyy. I can use summarized data but it has additional design i would prefer not to have to edit out. With the Date and Current Layout that formating is removed. I think PowerBi is exporting directly using the mm/dd/yyyy format by default. Could not find any settings to fix this anywhere

tvanstraelen
Frequent Visitor

Hello,
Both browser and system langauge are in Dutch, but when using the export option Excel - With current layout, the date fields are exported in the wrong format 'mm/dd/yyyy'. So having both browser and system language in the same language is not working for me.

T.

@tvanstraelen - did you come up with a solution? We have a similar issue where the date format is correctly retained when using the "Summarized data" export option but the date column's format is switched to General (and appears as numbers) when exporting using the "Data with current layout option".

Hi @tvanstraelen 

Then I know only 1 solution to do a bit of formatting in excel. You might have to raise ticket to MS for a screen sharing session.

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904
AnkitKukreja
Super User
Super User

Hi! @tvanstraelen 

Working fine for me. Might be the issue between browser and system language? Try to keep the browser language and system language same.
Also, if this helps, select the date column and in excel use "Ctrl+Shift+3" this will give you the date format as 01-Jan-2022 if that helps.

If my response has successfully addressed your question or concern, I kindly request that you mark this post as resolved. Additionally, if you found my assistance helpful, a thumbs-up would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ankit Kukreja
www.linkedin.com/in/ankit-kukreja1904

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors