Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Error preventing sharing report outside organization

Hello,

I'm trying to share a report outside my organization, but keep getting the error message "One or more e-mail addresses with the following domains are outside your organization." This completely prevents me from sharing and inviting the external user. 

PBI Share ErrorPBI Share Error

I have full admin access in PBI and Azure. Things I've done/tried so far:

• Disabling and re-enabling tenant settings "Allow Azure Active Directory guest users to access Power BI" and "Invite external users to your organization" for the entire organization.
  • Adding the outside user as a guest user in Azure AD and having them accept the invite
  • Granting my user account the "Guest Inviter" role in Azure (in addition to Global Admin)
    Creating a new workspace after enabling the above
  • Setting the workspace to Premium (per user) capacity

For some reason, I can see the outside user's name appear in the people picker for granting access to the workspace (which as far as I can tell doesn't give them express permission to the report), but they don't show in the picker for sharing a report. 

I also came across this post, but it's solution was related to Azure requiring MFA, and we're not currently set up for that. Otherwise, the error looks the same.

The end goal is to have specific reports within a workspace shared with specific customers. I've read every related documentation article I've come across, and nothing leads me to believe this should be difficult. Am I missing something in how this should be done? 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi,

Unless the Admin has turned the feature off you should be able to share with people outside your domain. I guess it’s the “new” share dialogue that’s getting in the way. See at the top it says "People in your organization with the link can view and share" I guess that's why it throws an error if you put in someone outside your organization. You need to share in a slightly different way.

So, in that "Send Link" dialogue, click on the three dots at the top to the left of the X. From there you can select "manage permissions" . Then on the Manage Permission bar click the + next to "Direct Access". That gives access to the old grant access dialogue, where you can enter the external recipients email addresses then click "grant access".

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
natasjamekes
Helper II
Helper II

With Webdashboard you can easily share your Power BI reports and dashboards, with an intern and external users. All you need is an e-mail address.

You can try Webdashboard for 30 days and if you need any help, they will quickly react. It's available at the Microsoft App Source and for more information, you can visit the website: www.webdashboard.com 

KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Thank you @Burningsuit! Very frustrating I missed that, but glad to be done with it.

If you happen to know, on a related note: now that I've shared outside the org, the user is being asked to sign up for a license. The workspace is on premium, but that's per user. Documentation states that workspaces on premium capacities can be shared without requiring licenses for end users, but I'm assuming now that means only on the $X,000/month premium plans, and not the per user?

Thanks again. I'll start a new thread if you're not sure.

Yes, only the Premuim licences provide what Microsoft call "Universal Access", that is access with a Free licence. Premium Per user does not. If you share reports on a PPU workspace the viewer needs a PPU licence if you do not have a Premium licence.

Stuart

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi,

Unless the Admin has turned the feature off you should be able to share with people outside your domain. I guess it’s the “new” share dialogue that’s getting in the way. See at the top it says "People in your organization with the link can view and share" I guess that's why it throws an error if you put in someone outside your organization. You need to share in a slightly different way.

So, in that "Send Link" dialogue, click on the three dots at the top to the left of the X. From there you can select "manage permissions" . Then on the Manage Permission bar click the + next to "Direct Access". That gives access to the old grant access dialogue, where you can enter the external recipients email addresses then click "grant access".

Hope this helps

Stuart

I have a pro free trial.  I want to do this but I'm not seeing any options described above?  I don't mind if the new user will be prompted for a pro trial.  They are OK with that.

Thanks for this post, had also been wondering why Sharing no longer seemed to be working with external orgs.  So, does anyone know if this is a bug in the "new" share dialog, or is there some alternative reason this route has been restricted?

HI @Ob1000101 

I don't think it's a bug. The "new" share dialog was introduced to be more like the share dialogs in Office 365. Note that you can still share with external users, but that the default is to share inside the organisation by default. Note also the the default "Share with users in my organisation" can be restricted by the administrator.

Hope this helps

Stuart

I can add users the dashboard with the same domain name(outside company).. but an specific email address is saying Failed grant access.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors