Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

zachthefrank
Frequent Visitor

Error message when trying to sync over GIT - Workload_FailedToParseFile

Hello all, I'm trying to update a report and semantic model in workspace from Git. When I attempt to sync I get:

Request ID 44e35710-f230-351b-750e-1358cee6538f

Workload Error Code Workload_FailedToParseFile

Workload Error Message Error while reading 'definition.pbidataset'. DatasetDefinition: Required artifact is missing.

Time Tue Mar 26 2024 15:46:30 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for closing the loop.

I believe there was a fix somtime between yesterday afternoon and today.

I ended up testing in a clean workspace and was able to sync to my git repo without issue. When I attempted the same thing in my dev workspace, it resynced without issues, however it also notified me that I had to merge and override my existing workspace objects, including my semantic model (which I've never had to do before).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @EvanSkam 

I think you need to download and install the latest version of Power BI Desktop. Open the file and save it back that should resolve the issue.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Similar to @EvanSkam this happened on the new version.

Thank you for the suggestion, however it did not work.

I didn't see any version release or change when I checked online or the Microsoft App.

My PBI desktop is Version: 2.127.1080.0 64-bit (March 2024)

When I restarted PBI desktop, opened my model, saved, and did git status, I had new untracked files including:
*.Report/.platform
*.Report/semanticModelDiagramLayout.json

My only theory at the moment is there are updates occuring in the background that have broken something.

I haven't deviated from my PBI/git workflow that has been stable for the last month.

EvanSkam
Frequent Visitor

I'm just now experiencing the same issue for the first time. I've found another post created in the last 2 hours reporting the same thing (https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Service/Error-while-reading-definition-pbidataset/m-p/3792...)

I had 3 new, untracked files appear in my directory, just before I hit this error, one of which was  */definition.pbism.

Was an update rolled out that's impacted this process?

While I haven't tried yet, I'm going to save my changes in a new directory and revert to an earlier commit from yesterday to see if that works.

Today I got it to work. Here's what I did:

• Created a forced edit on the branch (added a blank query)
  • Saved and commited
  • Pull request to merge to main
  • Sync to workspace

However, a new problem seems to have been introduced, which is my workspace is saying every single object is holding changes that haven't been commited to Git, which is impossible.

Thanks for closing the loop.

I believe there was a fix somtime between yesterday afternoon and today.

I ended up testing in a clean workspace and was able to sync to my git repo without issue. When I attempted the same thing in my dev workspace, it resynced without issues, however it also notified me that I had to merge and override my existing workspace objects, including my semantic model (which I've never had to do before).

This is what I did for now - revert in remote and branch on local to save the changes. Means I can't deploy though, which is not great.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors