Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Default8129
Frequent Visitor

Error in Power BI Desktop using dataflow: The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.powerbi.com'

I have a local pbix file I'm working on which calls several dataflows, but the dataflows are returning the error "The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.powerbi.com'".  In the Power BI service, all the dataflows and published datasets connect and refresh just fine. It is only in the local Power BI Desktop report that I am seeing this error "The remote name could not be resolved: 'api.powerbi.com'". I have tried logging out and back into my Microsoft account on PBI Desktop to no avail. When I go into Power Query Editor, I can use the dataflow data source and load in new dataflows in the Query Editor so the connection is successful there, but every dataflow still returns this error when I try to refresh the data from the report editor.

Over the weekend, the gateway was turned off and I thought perhaps there is a setting or configuration I had missed when I started it back up?

There is an existing forum message on this error, but for some reason the article linked in this older message does not load for me.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Data-Flows-Error-quot-DataSource-Error-The-remote-name-could...

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Default8129 ,

Please try clearing permissions in the data source settings and see if that helps your problem.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Default8129
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, the gateway itself is also giving this error when I try to sign in and adjust the configurations.

Default8129_0-1654789409953.png

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Default8129 ,

It appears to be receiving the effects of the gateway shutdown
You can try reconfiguring the gateway data source and see if the problem exists.

Hope it helps,

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors