Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wastidium
Employee
Employee

Error connecting to data files in SharePoint Online

Long standing and previously working connections to files on SharePoint Online suddenly started throwing the following error:

"DataSource.Error: We couldn't parse OData response result. Error: The property 'DisableCommenting' does not exist on type 'SP.List'. Make sure to only use property names that are defined by the type."

Nothing has been changed on either the PBI or SharePoint end by me.

Looking for some clarity or if others are having similar issues.

thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do we get email notifications for these types of issues? My teammate that co-owns the dataset got a notification, however I did not.

mike_honey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

This issue briefly occurred for me - seemingly every scheduled refresh involving SharePoint failed with the same error, in the 2-hour period to February 20, 2021 2:00 to 4:00 UTC. Then they all went back to refreshing fine without any action from me.

Regrettably, unexplained glitches that resolve themselves after a few hours are a fairly regular occurrence with the scheduled refresh service, perhaps every 2-3 months.  The only underlying cause I can think of is shoddy DevOps.

My standard reaction now is just to wait a while and hope they go away.

MIGUELG
Frequent Visitor

Update your enterprise gateway, it works for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The same here, one of my Reports on PBI service started to get this error on each scheduled refresh from today.

Can anyone help?

chriso97dev
Regular Visitor

this just started happening for me overnight, is there an issue with an upgrade or version?

Same issue for me also. Any admins going to answer this any time soon. Its effecting a very important dashboard in my business.

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Wastidium ,

There is a blog posts on how to work around this problem.Please check if this could help you a little.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Eyelyn9,

All my reports that were having this issue have stabilized and not presented with this issue since Monday afternoon. If I have further issues I will look to implement the code from the blog you referenced.

Thank you!

bill_lalonde
Employee
Employee

I was getting the same error on Sunday and Monday with two reports that are on Schedulded Refresh. But this morning both reports refreshed just fine. For what it's worth, no changes have been made to the files or connections between Power BI and SharePoint.

Hi Bill,

All my reports stabilized this morning as well. Hopefully whatever it was has been resolved and we won't need to worry about it after this weekend.

niteenm
Employee
Employee

Yes, getting exact same error from 2/13 6am but it's intermittent on PBI Service. Tried downgrading API version to 14 and it seems stable from desktop as well as datasets on PBI Service aren't failing to refresh.

Not sure if this is related to below

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/disable-comments-in-lists/m-p/1980665

but this old one seems to work by downgrading to version 14

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Connecting-to-a-SharePoint-List-Office-365-error/m-p/88...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/sharepoint-contents

Even using "Auto" for version seems to be working, but it fails sometimes (but not as often as version 15).

let
Source = SharePoint.Files("https://your_sharepoint_address", [ApiVersion = 14])

But the question remains - why the working API version 15 (from several months) is breaking suddenly.

-Niteen

Vijay_B
Employee
Employee

Getting the same issue - long stanidng connections to Excel files in Sharepoint Online are not being loaded up with this issue starting 13th Feb. Can anyone help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors