Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bfinck
Regular Visitor

Error - The report can't be viewed because the underlying dataset has row level security (RLS)

I have a user who can see the dataset results but not the report it's based on. Error - The report can't be viewed because the underlying dataset has row level security (RLS). User has Viewer access to the Test workspace and is part of the Permissions RLS role that I created. I'm also using a SQL table to give users different types of access (in this case, to see data for a particular project). I'm using DAX UserPrincipalName() to match the email address (also in the SQL table). I'm not sure how this happened, but there are duplicate report names (call it Labor report) from today and 2 weeks ago. The user was finally able to view the report, but it's the older version. I have both a Test and Dev workspace but I want this user to only see the Test environment. When I try Test as Role for this user as an admin user, I can see only the specific project data for that user in the role (which makes it look like I have everything correct). Any ideas what other permissions or configurations to check?

3 REPLIES 3
v-yinliw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bfinck ,

What is your data connection mode?

You can check if the gateway is the latest version, if not, please update the gateway to the latest version, for such questions you can refer to the following links below:

Solved: The report can't be viewed because the underlying ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: The report can't be viewed because underlying data... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Solved: The report can't be viewed because the underlying ... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Hope this helps you.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Yinliw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the suggestion @v-yinliw-msft but unfortunately, I still get the same error after updating the gateway

Hi bfinck,

Did you find a solution for your RLS issue.

I'm facing the same issue for only 1 user at my company.

I've updated the Gateway, tried removing/adding the user, tried removing cache, logging out and then back in.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors