Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ZacWatkins

Editing Existing Gateway Connections

Hello,

My organization is hosting a few dozen gateway connections under one gateway cluster and will shortly be changing servers. All of the existing gateways need have their server addresses updated, but it seems that I cannot change any of the Data Source Types, Servers, or Databases for my gateways. I am the admin and owner of these gateways, so I don't think its a permissions issue. Worse yet, I don't even see an option to delete existing gateways, so even if I have to manually create new gateways with the updated server, do all of the old ones just linger as defunct ghosts in the list?

So what I'm looking for is essentially: how do I delete and/or modify existing gateway connections?

4 REPLIES 4
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ZacWatkins ;

a)If you remove or delete a gateway cluster in any of the cloud services, you won't be able to restore it. Also, when you remove or delete a gateway cluster, the gateway is not uninstalled from the gateway machines. You have to manually uninstall the gateway from each machine in the cluster.

For example, to remove a gateway in the Power BI service:

1. In the upper-right corner of the Power BI service, select the gear icon 

vyalanwumsft_3-1638509722226.png> Manage gateway

2. Select the gateway and then select Remove.

vyalanwumsft_2-1638509704625.png

b)here is a post about Change server connections within the gateway.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Change-server-connections-within-the-gateway/m-p/1134291

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

When I select a given gateway I don't have the option to remove it. Is this part of permissions? I am the owner of the gateway so it seems unlikely.

Additionally, if I want to modify a gateway, the sever address is greyed out and I cannot change it. Why would this be? Again, I am both an admin on the gateway and created most of them.

I have the exact same problem and no one seemed to have addressed your problem. 

It was indeed very frusturating, one of the powerBI updates shortly after I had this problem seemed to have fixed things. I hope you find a solution soon!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors