Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Edit access to reports but not to dataset

Hi experts,

Need your help here.

The requirement is the end user should have access to modify the published reports, can create their own reports and visuals but should not be able to edit the dataset. PBI dataset should be red only.

We tried adding End users as "Contributer", this way they can edit the report but they can also edit the datasets.

Is there any way we ca stop them modifying the reports but not the PBI datasets?

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Vickar
Advocate I
Advocate I

For your scenario, follow the solution that @AbhiSSRS posted.
Doing so, the end user can do the below

1. Save-as an existing PBI report that is decoupled from the dataset, then the user can edit this saved-as report

2. the user can create new reports on top of this dataset, the dataset is accesible only in read only mode.

3. the user can access this datamodel in Excel

And, the end user cannot do the below

1. Cannot download the shared PBI report

2. Cannot download the saved-as report

3. cannot download the data model 

I tested all the above as of 13Dec2022.

sagarsankhe
Frequent Visitor

Contributor adds write permission to the dataset. This allows users to make changes to dataset. 

Permissions upto Build permission will allow user to create reports as well. 
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-datasets-permissions

hyugo_v
Helper I
Helper I

Hello @Anonymous,

I was told to give the same requirement as the one you mentionned.
An end user needs to modify the existing report on PowerBI service but SHOULDN'T be able to modify the dataset. Did it work for you ? Because "Contributor" allows the user to access and modify the dataset.

Regards, testtt.PNG

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

I refer to the description of the permissions section in the official article.Contributer could  not manage dataset ,and if you want to mange dataset ,you need to be a member.And  I found if you are "Contributer" ,you could 

edit report and  could manage dataset ,this is what you are looking for .

v-luwang-msft_0-1618993296145.png

To learn more details ,you could read the following article:

Organize work in the new workspaces in Power BI

Sharing a dataset but NOT allowing anyone to edit it?

Wish it is helpful for you!

Best Regards

Lucien

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

The best development approach is to have datasets seperated from pbix reports. In fact you may delete the pbix which has the dataset originally from the workspace. 

Users can then develop their own reports connecting live to Power BI datasets without having any access to edit it. 

In the service , you may use below options while sharing so that users are able to create reports with your datasets.

AbhiSSRS_0-1618215269265.png

Exactly what I was looking for. thanks a ton.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @AbhiSSRS 
Many thanks for your reply.

We are using the same approach. Our dataset and report are two different PBI files.

In that case do we need to add users at the Dataset level --> Manage Permissions. if yes what type of access so that they can't edit the dataset.

Thanks

The dataset that for which you have the associated report deleted can never be downloaded to edit. So that takes care of it for most developers. Its only allows for live connection if created from desktop or creation in service and that file can't be downloaded with dataset ever.

Hi @AbhiSSRS,

in my case the end user needs to modify the form of one visual each month on the report but they were asking me not to give him access to the dataset associated, i don't know if my explanation is clear

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors