Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brbrFIAP

ERROR - Create a DATAFLOW FROM SQL SERVER WITHOUT GATEWAY

I have a database hosted on the internet that can be accessed without logging in to a specific network. I would like to use PBI Dataflow to connect to this database and since it's on the internet, a GATEWAY shouldn't be required to access it. When I try to make the connection, I receive the following message "The connection could not be created. This may mean that it is not accessible from this network or this URI, or that a gateway is required to access this data source. (Session ID: e2e61bec-cc7e-43e1-b5aa-d4ea73fbd8aa, Region: us)" Does anyone have an idea of what might be missing? Just for information, this database is installed on a machine with Ubuntu Server version 20.04.

1 REPLY 1
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

Your statement that "since it's on the internet, a GATEWAY shouldn't be required to access it" is incorrect. Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) virtual machines are considered "on premises" as they have no built-in service to connect to Power BI, unlike DaaS/SaaS such as Azure SQL Server.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
------------------------------------------------
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors