Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

pchandwade

Dynamically update date for a visual with drill mode

Hello! 

We have a visual showing a years worth of data with the ability to drill from Year - > Month-> Day. 

It is published with the X-axis drilled down to day-level for the latest month. At the start of a month, I manually update this in PBI desktop and re-publish the file to show data for the new month.

Clarification: The data refresh takes place on the server. I am not manually re-publishing because I need to refresh the data, but because I need to update the visual to show data for the latest month. 

To provide an example,

1) The visual shows data for all days of May up until May 31

2) On June 1, I need to drill up and change the month to June, drill-down to month of June and then re-publiish 

3) A user can still turn on drill mode and go to any other past month as needed 

Are there any options to have the visual dynamically update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @pchandwade 

Thanks for your quick response!

According to your description, you have configured data refresh on Power BI Service, and you have enabled Drill mode. When you drill to the date dimension, the latest data will not be displayed after data refresh, right?
If so, this is the correct representation of Drill mode. For the Drill to date dimension, the Filter will filter a certain month by default. Even if your data contains new month data, the filtered month date will still be displayed.
You can try to clear the currently specified filter in the Filter and then drill again to the latest month date.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1686533427790.png

You can try to click the Eraser icon in the "Filter on this visual" to try to check if it has the new data.

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @pchandwade 

According to your description, you update the data in the dataset by republishing each time?
For visual objects, the import mode will display the currently imported data. After publishing to Power BI Service, you can obtain the latest data information through data refresh without republishing to obtain the latest data.

For this , you can refer to :
Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

If your data source is from local instead of cloud data source, you need to download local data gateway to configure credentials for refresh.

For this , you can refer to :
Power BI Gateway | Microsoft Power BI

On-premises data gateway - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

I should have mentioned this in the earlier post, but the data is set-up for automatic refresh. Only for the visuals which have drill-mode "On" the data does not display the latest dates. If the visual was published on the month view, the latest data would show up, but because it is published on the day view, I have to update the visual and re-publish with the current month. Is there any way for this drill-mode to automatically show days of the latest month?  

Hi, @pchandwade 

Thanks for your quick response!

According to your description, you have configured data refresh on Power BI Service, and you have enabled Drill mode. When you drill to the date dimension, the latest data will not be displayed after data refresh, right?
If so, this is the correct representation of Drill mode. For the Drill to date dimension, the Filter will filter a certain month by default. Even if your data contains new month data, the filtered month date will still be displayed.
You can try to clear the currently specified filter in the Filter and then drill again to the latest month date.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1686533427790.png

You can try to click the Eraser icon in the "Filter on this visual" to try to check if it has the new data.

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors