Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic RLS Working as a Test Role in Power BI Service but it is blank when shared with same Users

Dear Power BI Community,

I am a facing a weird problem with Power BI Service I have successfully implemented Dynamic RLS in Power BI Desktop and also it is working fine when I test it as a role in Power BI Service. Please note that this report is being shared with people outside our organisation. But when I originally share the report with those users it shows blank to them. Please see screenshot below for reference. 

fqureshi_0-1667006345146.png

From the screenshot it is obvious I have selected a role and Dynamic RLS is working but when the same user login from their end to see the report they see blank report as shown in the screenshot

fqureshi_1-1667006504291.png

I have tried all possible ways by giving access to user as a viewer in workspace. Or sharing the report with read only access but nothing seems to be working at the moment. 

I would be extremely thankful if someone guide me about the solution of this problem.

Kind Regards,

Fassahat

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Guest user: abc@domainName.com

Whether the value in the table is abc_domainName.com#EXT#@ourOrganization.onmicrosoft.com data.

abc@domainName.com , only data that belongs to the rows fully matched with this value will be displayed for him,  If there is a row whose value is abc_domainName.com#EXT#@ourOrganization.onmicrosoft.com, it won’t be displayed for the user  abc@domainName.com

So, guest users email for abc@domainName.com, not abc_domainName.com #EXT#@ourOrganization.onmicrosoft.com then you could take it as UPN.

For reference:

Solved: RLS for External guest users - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Guest user: abc@domainName.com

Whether the value in the table is abc_domainName.com#EXT#@ourOrganization.onmicrosoft.com data.

abc@domainName.com , only data that belongs to the rows fully matched with this value will be displayed for him,  If there is a row whose value is abc_domainName.com#EXT#@ourOrganization.onmicrosoft.com, it won’t be displayed for the user  abc@domainName.com

So, guest users email for abc@domainName.com, not abc_domainName.com #EXT#@ourOrganization.onmicrosoft.com then you could take it as UPN.

For reference:

Solved: RLS for External guest users - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response. I have tested both in my case but both tend to fail when I choose the email of the format abc@domainName.comeven the test fail at Power BI Service and also the guest users receive blank report. When I use email of the format abc_domainName.com#EXT#@ourOrganization.onmicrosoft.com Power BI Service when I test as a role test is successful but when I share the report with same users report is blank. So both tests fail ultimately for me. Any thoughts or suggestions to resolve this problem?

Kind Regards,

Fassahat

AbbasG
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous Hi, click on the dataset ==> security ==> RLS and check if you have added the user's email ID there. If it is blank the user will not be able to view the report.

AbbasG_0-1667025869566.png

Also, you can check if external sharing in the dataset is turned on.

AbbasG_1-1667025906648.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors