Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

biswedishdevil
Advocate I
Advocate I

Download .pbix greyed out

Good morning!

I've created a report in the Power BI Service. Now I want to publish it to anotther app workgroup. Is there a direct way to do it?

As I couldn't see a direct way, my idea was to download the .pbix file to the Desktop, and then publish it from Power BI Desktop to the corresponding app workgroup. But I can't do it, as I noticed the option to Download .pbix file is greyed out! 

This report was created from 0 in the service. If I compare other reports created in the desktop and publiushed to the service, I can download correctly those .pbix's, but no the .pbix of the report created in the Service.

I have upgraded the Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.46.4732.721 64-bit, but still not working.

Any reason why this could happen?

Is there a direct way to deploy the report to an app workgroup?

Many thanks!

Data analytics supporter !
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @biswedishdevil,

You an go to My Workspace, then create a content pack, publish to that specific app group follow Create and publish an organizational content pack (tutorial).

Then in the app workspace, assume you have edit permission, then you can use Get Data-> My organization to get content pack, the report will display in that app workspace.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
MKROSTEWITZ

I agree with everyone who is upset about the download functionality. I have spent days, if not weeks designing my reports and now I realized that it was all useless - simply because I haven't used the desktop version. I did not use the desktop as we are working on macs and at least on my parallels - the performance of the app is anywhere close to good. 

I am a huge supporter of Alpha Version - which in my opinion this app is, but let people know before and most importantly - LISTEN TO THEIR FEEDBACK AND FIX IT. Everything I read from community support is just defending a buggy app with no willingness for improvement - THAT IS WHAT I EXPECT FROM MICROSOFT! 

edejes2
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

As you're having issues downloading the PBIX file from Power BI Service. Here I will show you another way to get your PBIX and RDL files from the service

As per this image below you might see the Download the .pbix file disable.

edejes2_0-1608227655644.png

edejes2_3-1608227707275.png

I am not sure if this is related to the latest updates in BI service but this is working perfectly for me and all my clients facing this issue.

Best,

Erich Dejesus

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @biswedishdevil,

As stated in this article, to download the report from Power BI service, the report must have originated from Power BI Desktop.

In your scenario, as the report is created on Power BI service, you can package the dataset and report, then publish to that app workspace. See:

Intro to organizational content packs in Power BI

Create and publish an organizational content pack (tutorial)

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft--

That is clearly not a solution to the OP's question.  Please remove the "Solved!" label from it.

Could you please ellaborate a litle bit more the idea?

I've created the report in "My Workspace", and I'm not really finding my way to "pack" the dataset and report to an app...

Data analytics supporter !

Hi @biswedishdevil,

You an go to My Workspace, then create a content pack, publish to that specific app group follow Create and publish an organizational content pack (tutorial).

Then in the app workspace, assume you have edit permission, then you can use Get Data-> My organization to get content pack, the report will display in that app workspace.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

that doesn't work for me

Can we just call PBI an Alpha at this point? I've had nothing but headaches from this **bleep** product. 

It's over a year later and this stupid limitation is still there.

I totally agree with @Seth_C_Bauer, the use cases for building reports directly on the Service are very limited and mostly these are for "Power Users" to whom some kind of PBI content that is created on the Desktop level is published/delivered on the Service and they are deriving variants of the original report that was developed on PBI Desktop. 

Also, can't expect a product to work some other way when it is explicitly mentioned that it works one way. Documentation will be counter intutive if that is how products were to work.

With all due respect, that's a load of hooey.  Why on Earth would this product exist without an ability to export your source code from the web version?  This sounds like a decision made by the sales & marketing team.

I had to learn on the web version, now have the desktop version.  All my prior content is stranded on the web version.  Graying out the button that says "Download a .pbix copy" was just one more way of thumbing their nose at me.

Clearly NOT SOLVED.  This tool needs a LOT of work.  There's no unity of design.  Typical Microsoft product where they've thrown 10,000 parts into a pile and expect it to be a running car afterwards.

@John_L_Edwards I can certainly understand the frustration, but to use your own analogy this is more like you jumping into a brand new car not understanding how it works and blaming the manufacturer for your accident because you didn't read the manual and operate it correctly. Since the creation of the product, the bulk of everything a report author needs to do is in the Desktop, the Service currently provides a fraction of the functionality required to produce reports. We all get frustrated, and we're all here to help each other out. No need to start slamming the product or the team that supports it.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

I have the issue with the greyed out link to download for files that were created in Desktop.  

Please create a fresh post as this the post is marked as solved and more than two years old.  

More like jumping into a new car and discovering (undocumented) that it can't travel across Pennsylvania's border with Maryland for no discernible reason.*

This tool really has some work to do on conceptual unity.  If a feature isn't available don't gray it out.  Gray-Out means you're not in a proper context, not you can never do that.  If you want me to be positive I'll make it a feature request -- work on better feedback in the interface.

* Which may indeed happen with some cars in the near future!

@mvanderlee There are additional options to copy reports from one workspace to another via powershell commands if you are trying to accomplish moving reports to other locations. Otherwise, follow the design of the product and build reports in the Desktop in order to have the additional flexibility. There are a small number of use cases where you have to build reports in Service, and in those cases where you want to, you will be limited by what you can create (measures, etc), and will need to work with more advanced techniques to move things around.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow the design? The design is poolry thought out and constructed with too many limitations. Period. 

I'll just mention as a follow-up that we gave up on using the tool.  Getting data out of our corporate architecture and into a place where Power BI could use it proved more or less indefensible to our IT team.  It was deemed a security hazard.  So at that point the shortcomings just piled on too high to continue.

It's replacement, believe it or not, is Excel. 

We drive data to a template Excel file via WebFOCUS/I-Way (where you can export every doggone thing in any direction you want by the way) and let Excel's map feature present our color gradients in the main tab.  I had it up and running in production in about a day.

I think we need to wait for Power BI to reach version 3.51 before we give it another go.

@Seth_C_Bauer @v-qiuyu-msft What if we are creating Dataset using API, it should allow the download in that case at least ? Can we download it in that case ? Currently, it is greyed out in that case as well.

1. Show the Navigation pane
  2. Select the Workspace
  3. Scroll Down to the 'Datasets'
  4. Highlight the report's Dataset
  5. Click on the ellipses
  6. Select 'Download .pbix'

Hello @Seth_C_Bauer , 

I do not agree on that. This is the functionality requested by many of our users who are not PowerUsers. It is even more confusing to allow users to create these reports on PowerBI service and restrict them from publishing to Premium workspace to share with (Free) users.

Not understanding, why shouldn't this be allowed? What will we lose? 

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors