Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BrookBracewell2
Frequent Visitor

Does Dataflow reduce the need to load data on source databases

We have an on premise SQL Datawarehouse, and the management of both this environment and Power BI fall to the same group. I feel like data load from our on premise server to Power BI would be more efficient if we used dataflows however I have not seen this particular usecase featured. Would a load of tables in to dataflow mean a fact table is loaded once from On Prem and then reused accross my datamodels? It is quite sluggish building in to Workflow, then refreshing, then connecting to a desktop report and I am wondering if this is a wasted effort. Feedback is appreciated. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BrookBracewell2 wrote:

Would a load of tables in to dataflow mean a fact table is loaded once from On Prem and then reused accross my datamodels?

@BrookBracewell2 wrote:

Would a load of tables in to dataflow mean a fact table is loaded once from On Prem and then reused accross my datamodels?

Yes, the re-use of source data across datasets is one of the primary use cases for dataflows.

------------------------------------------------
1. How to get your question answered quickly - good questions get good answers!
2. Learning how to fish > being spoon-fed without active thinking.
3. Please accept as a solution posts that resolve your questions.
BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
otravers
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BrookBracewell2 wrote:

@BrookBracewell2 wrote:

Yes, the re-use of source data across datasets is one of the primary use cases for dataflows.

BI Blog: Datamarts | RLS/OLS | Dev Tools | Languages | Aggregations | XMLA/APIs | Field Parameters | Custom Visuals

@otravers 
I hit a nother stumbling block, which is the requirement to have a shared model accross workspaces.  Any thoughts on that?

Yes, you can now share datasets and even promote them within an organization:

Share a dataset - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI datasets can now also be queried from other datasets, which opens even more possibilities.

Thanks- I am still not sold on the concept.
You load data to DataFlows, but still need to do a subsequent refresh of the datamodel. It might be quicker in Service than pulling from on Prem SQL database- but it still feels a way off what I want it to be - but I am quite demanding! 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors