Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does Dataflow evaluation stop after 10 minutes?

I am using a dataflow to query JIRA using REST API's. I moved the query from Desktop to Power BI Service/Dataflow hoping to benefit from using tables from multiple dataflows in one report. One of the queries reaches "Completed" status after 10m 1s consistantly and with the message "Evaluation was cancelled". Is there some time limit associated with how long a data flow query can run? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I created a Support ticket.  I got the response I got from Microsoft is as follows:

The authoring limit on Power Query Online is 10 minutes per query. This is the reason for evaluation cancellation error during dataflow creation. We cannot increase or decrease this timeout value. Please note that there is no such timeout value for Power BI Desktop. Reference Document: Power Query Online Usage Limits | Microsoft Docs

You can consider optimizing the query or breaking the query into two to ensure that it takes less than 10 minutes each to execute. If in case, there is no way we can optimize this query. Then the only option left is to use Power BI Desktop instead of Power Query Online (dataflows)."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Thank you for your sharing very much.

I have considered this reason before, but I did not find the relevant documents.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous @Anonymous ,

Please create support ticket .

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I created a Support ticket.  I got the response I got from Microsoft is as follows:

The authoring limit on Power Query Online is 10 minutes per query. This is the reason for evaluation cancellation error during dataflow creation. We cannot increase or decrease this timeout value. Please note that there is no such timeout value for Power BI Desktop. Reference Document: Power Query Online Usage Limits | Microsoft Docs

You can consider optimizing the query or breaking the query into two to ensure that it takes less than 10 minutes each to execute. If in case, there is no way we can optimize this query. Then the only option left is to use Power BI Desktop instead of Power Query Online (dataflows)."

I added a where clause in the sql statement block to narrow the results.  Once the M code showed up, I removed the where clause and canceled the evaluation.  Closed dataflow and refreshed.  Slow but works like a charm.

This solved my problem!!! Great idea, it's incredible that it works.

well thank you for the answer but now I'd like someone from MS to explain what's the use case for dataflows then.

I'm sorry but this isn't a solution.

It's just acknowledging a limitation of the product.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lionel-msft 

I have the exact same problem and tried your solution 

This is the code 

Source = Csv.Document(Web.Contents(Url, [Headers=[Authorization=AuthToken],Query=[start=StartDate,type="completion"], Timeout=#duration(0,30,0,0)]),
// I tried duration in all variation also #duration(0,0,30,0)])
    [Delimiter=",", Columns=29, Encoding=65001, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.Csv]),

Lug-hes_1-1607083238441.png

But the evaluation times out after 10 min 

Lug-hes_0-1607083201890.png

Any ideas how to increase the evaluation time ?

Best regards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did notice that certain other REST API queries lasting more than 10m went through, so it is not probably a timeout issue. On the other hand, there is no way to figure out what to do to resolve the problem - No diagnostics within Power BI service or details accompanying error message ...

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Is it look like this?

v-lionel-msft_1-1607074120932.png

And the status is “Completed(10m1s)"?

v-lionel-msft_2-1607074705643.png

Maybe the data loading process has timed out.

v-lionel-msft_3-1607074807157.png

Try to customize the value of the timeout attribute, for example:

// Timeout is 30 minutes. 
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://[apiservice].com",[RelativePath=thepath],[Timeout=#duration(0,30,0,0)])),

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant the first case- time shows 10m 1 s on the status bar shown at the bottom right part of the power query window. The central pane which is supposed to show the result of the query just shows "Evaluation is cancelled"

v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Do you mean this time?

v-lionel-msft_0-1606790000216.png

Or this time?

v-lionel-msft_1-1606790100687.png

Does your query return complete data when the status is "Completed"?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors