Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mmossel
Employee
Employee

Do Premium Capacity consumers need an E5 license to integrate Purview and Defender for Cloud Apps?

Hi,

We have Premium capacity for consumers and separate Pro licenses for creators. We are considering the M365 E5 License for only the creators, allowing us to potentially leverage integration of Power BI with the following three technologies:

• Microsoft Purview Information Protection
  • Microsoft Purview Data loss prevention
  • Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps

However, for EACH of these three technologies, do only the creators really need the E5 license? Or do consumers also need an E5 license to be able to use one of the three?

Best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@mmossel Well the documentation for that suggests you just need one license to get that into your tenant. It is policy based so similar to Purview. What you need for the real time controls for Power BI is an Azure P1 license so, no, you shouldn't need the full blown Azure Defender or E5 license for all users.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@mmossel If you have Premium capacity, you only need a Pro license. An E5 provides a Pro license. So if you already have that as a separate license, you don't need an E5. Consumers do not need an E5 or any license at all.

Latest book!:

Hi @Greg_Deckler,

I understand that. But I'm not referring to basic sharing from Premium capacity with users that have no license. I'm referring specifically to using Information Protection, Data loss prevention policies and Defender for Cloud Apps.

Can these technologies be used for everyone in the organization when only the creators have E5 license?

@mmossel Well, for Purview, only the Admin account that sets up the integration needs the E5 license: Data loss prevention policies for Power BI (preview) - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Latest book!:

I see, good catch @Greg_Deckler! And for Defender for Cloud Apps, do you happen to know? I can't find it clearly in the documentation. 

@mmossel Well, if you are just trying to connect Power BI to create reports on Microsoft Defender data then just the account connecting to the API should need the Defender license. Of course I suppose you won't get data for users that are not licensed for Defender.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler I'm not trying to create reports on top of Microsoft Defender data. I would like to: Use Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps controls in Power BI to protect Power BI reports, data, and services from unintended leaks or breaches.

@mmossel Well the documentation for that suggests you just need one license to get that into your tenant. It is policy based so similar to Purview. What you need for the real time controls for Power BI is an Azure P1 license so, no, you shouldn't need the full blown Azure Defender or E5 license for all users.

Latest book!:

This link might be of you interest. Which licenses provide the rights for a user to benefit from the service? 

Who is entitled to the service?
Licensed users of Microsoft Cloud App Security standalone, EMS E5, M365 E5 and M365 E5 Security are entitled to receive the benefits of Microsoft Cloud App Security.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors