Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Master_T
Helper I
Helper I

Disabling autocomplete of names in power bi online service

Hello everyone

This might seem like a strange request from the title, so let me explain the scenario.

I've been following this helpful guide:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embed-multi-tenancy?tabs=workspace

to setup our tenant with multiple workspaces, so that each of our clients can access only their workspace (in other words: multi-tenancy implemented on a single tenant by using workspace separation and assigning each client its own workspace, as the article suggests)

Everything works as expected, but there is a little but annoying information leakage issue in this scenario.

There are various fields when navigating through a workspace where you can input a username/e-mail address. One example is when a user clicks "Update App" from the workspace main page and then clicks on the "Access" tab. As you can see from the following screenshot:

Master_T_1-1641912598147.png

a user by simply typing all the letters of the alphabet can easily see all the email addresses and usernames present in the entire tenant thanks to the autocomplete feature. This becomes an information disclosure problem in the scenario described by the article, i.e.: when we have multiple clients connecting to our tenant. Each one can only access his own workspace, but through fields like that he can get a list of all users, even the ones from other workspaces.

So, my question is: is there some way to disable this auto-complete feature?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Master_T ,

I don't think that you can do this in Power BI because I think these are just "built in" code and is jut "how it works" but perhaps Microsoft has a way???  Please create a support ticket with them and let us know the result.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Master_T ,

I don't think that you can do this in Power BI because I think these are just "built in" code and is jut "how it works" but perhaps Microsoft has a way???  Please create a support ticket with them and let us know the result.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks @collinq ,we'll try that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors