Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LaineyJB
Advocate II
Advocate II

Disable report editing in browser for entire tenant

We are working on improving our governance of Power BI reporting, and as part of this we're trying to enforce a change process for our developers to make their report changes in Desktop. Is there a way to disable the edit in browser option for our entire tenant? The only results I'm finding for this are folks suggesting that permissions be set to Viewer on each workspace, which won't work since our developers need to be Contributors or higher to publish reports from Desktop.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @LaineyJB 

There is currently no direct option to disable report editing privileges for the entire tenant. 

If you want to have edit access to the report in the service, the prerequisite is that the user has a build permission on the dataset. It is possible to prevent editing of reports in the service by limiting the permissions on the dataset. But as you describe, there are also developers who need to publish reports, and developers with contributor or above permissions automatically have build permissions on datasets.

The workspace side gives permissions to the normal user viewer and the developer has contributor or above permissions. If you share a report with a normal user, do not check the "Allow the recipients to build content with the data associated with this report" option.

vzhangti_0-1643356471455.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @LaineyJB 

There is currently no direct option to disable report editing privileges for the entire tenant. 

If you want to have edit access to the report in the service, the prerequisite is that the user has a build permission on the dataset. It is possible to prevent editing of reports in the service by limiting the permissions on the dataset. But as you describe, there are also developers who need to publish reports, and developers with contributor or above permissions automatically have build permissions on datasets.

The workspace side gives permissions to the normal user viewer and the developer has contributor or above permissions. If you share a report with a normal user, do not check the "Allow the recipients to build content with the data associated with this report" option.

vzhangti_0-1643356471455.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-zhangti Thanks for the response, that's what I expected but I was hoping I just missed a setting. I appreciate the help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors