Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

mibu
Employee
Employee

Disable "Download report (Preview) / Download a .pbix copy" option

Hi Community!

I house my .pbix reports (and related dashboards) in APP WORKSPACES and give access to those reports via an O365 Group...  they are linked/one-and-the-same.

When I open any one of my reports in APP WORKSPACES...  under File dropdown...  there is the following option:

Download report (Preview) / Download a .pbix copy option.

I want to disable this option.

To that end...  I clicked on the three ellipses next to the APP WORKSPACE in question...  clicked Edit Workspace...  and selected Members can only view Power BI content...  clicked Save icon.

Yet even after taking this step...  users still have the option to Download report (Preview) / Download a .pbix copy

Any/all guidance how to eliminate this option much appreciated.  Thank you!

mibu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mibu,

The only option is to disable "Export data" option under Admin Portal. Turning off this option will prevent the whole organization from Exporting data to Excel/CSV , as well as Downloading PBIX file. The admin portal is accessible to all users who are Global Admins in Office 365 or have been assigned the Power BI service administrator role. 

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mibu,

The only option is to disable "Export data" option under Admin Portal. Turning off this option will prevent the whole organization from Exporting data to Excel/CSV , as well as Downloading PBIX file. The admin portal is accessible to all users who are Global Admins in Office 365 or have been assigned the Power BI service administrator role. 

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft,

Under Admin Portal I only see Capacity Settings...  thoughts on getting the the other five menu items?  Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for dragging this up but I see no response to @mibu 

The additional settings are part of having the Power BI Service Administrator Azure AD role/permission.

More info here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-portal

zapps
Frequent Visitor

Hi @mibu,

Are the members of the O365 group set as members or admins in your app?  I had the same issue with one of my reports and changing the users in the group to members took away their ability to download the report as a .pbix. 

You can check this by going to the Edit Workspace (same place you set Members can only view Power BI content) and checking the list of users.  Each user should have either Admin or Member next to their name.  If you do not want the user to have the capability to download the file, you should set them as a member.

Hope this helps!

Hi @zapps,

Thanks for your reply!  When I click on the WORKSPACE in question...  and then click on Edit workspace...  all the Members show as Member (not Admin), except for me of course...  there is even a dropdown by each Member name whereby I can change them to Admin.  Thoughts?

Thanks

mibu

zapps
Frequent Visitor

Hi @mibu,

Because you are the Admin of the group the download .pbix icon will always appear in your file options (I don't know of a way to disable this option for the admin).  However, The download .pbix option will not appear in a user's file options as long as they are set as a member.  You can test this out by adding a coworker to the group as a member and have them try to download a report as a pbix, but from everything you mentioned the download report as pbix icon will not appear for the group you are trying to send it to.

Hope this makes sense.

Zapps

zapps
Frequent Visitor

@mibu

Sorry, was typing the message before I saw your reply.  If that is the case, I have not experienced this issue. 

I'd be interested to see why your members have the ability to download the report because I am trying to give one of my members this option without making them an admin. 

Let me know if you find a solution.

By the way, just for context, I reached out today and had a Member share their screen with me and view a report page from WORKSPACE in question...  and the Download report (Preview) / Download a .pbix copy option was present.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors