Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lilych
Helper II
Helper II

Direct Query Datasets not refreshing

Hello

I noticed that some of my Direct Query reports / datasets were not updating upon refresh, and I would have to initiate a refresh in order to get the latest data. In the Settings, I tried to see what was causing this issue and discovered some differences between a dataset that refreshed on its own (every hour) vs. the ones that did not work.

Below is the settings for the report that is working correctly. Based on the Cache refresh history, it refreshes every hour. 

lilych_3-1597778874021.png

In the other dataset report settings that do not refresh, I do not see the message 'The data gateway is online and your data sources are online' and I do not see 'Scheduled cache refresh' but 'Scheduled refresh' instead as if it was an import. I double checked these datasets and confirmed they are all Direct Query.

Does anyone know why this is happening? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @lilych,

Normally they will follow the connection mode of the data model tables.
The scheduler refresh configured is based on 'import' mode but 'live mode connection' contents should trigger their refresh when your interaction with them. (notice: composite mode means your report exists multiple types of mode, it does not mean 'live' mode data will convert to 'import' and update as same as the configuration in scheduler refresh)

You can also take a look at the following document to know the different refresh modes in power bi.

Data refresh in Power BI 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @lilych,

Any other type of query table in your report? If you are working with a composite mode report, it will shows the scheduled refresh configuration instead of direct query mode.

Use composite models in Power BI Desktop 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks - if it is a composite model, does the DirectQuery part of the model not update upon refresh of the page and abides by the import / scheduled refresh? 

Hi @lilych,

Normally they will follow the connection mode of the data model tables.
The scheduler refresh configured is based on 'import' mode but 'live mode connection' contents should trigger their refresh when your interaction with them. (notice: composite mode means your report exists multiple types of mode, it does not mean 'live' mode data will convert to 'import' and update as same as the configuration in scheduler refresh)

You can also take a look at the following document to know the different refresh modes in power bi.

Data refresh in Power BI 
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors