Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Andrew01

Deployment rule to change datasource to on prem SQL database - invalid rule

Hi

I am creating a deployment pipeline in fabric capacity to deploy a paginated report from dev to production workspace in Power BI service. Via a data source deployment rule I want to change the datasource from an Azure SQL Database (in dev) to an on premises SQL Server Database (in Prod), which is connected via an On premises data gateway. When saving the rule, I receive an error "At least one rule is invalid. Make sure each rule has valid values and try again.". If I use an Azure SQL Database for Prod in the deployment rule, it saves as expected. Are on prem databases not supported in deployment rules, or is there some workaround?

Thanks

Andrew 

2 REPLIES 2
Andrew01

Thanks @v-zhengdxu-msft,  the on prem gateway is configured correctly, and has been tested in other reports. I don't see any limitations in the documentation regarding on prem data gateways. I was hoping someone has successfully implemented this, just so that I know if it is possible or not, and if so, what format the server name in the rule should take, as this is the only variable I can think of that could affect it.

Regards

v-zhengdxu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Andrew01 

Verify that your On-premises Data Gateway is correctly configured and that the Power BI service can communicate with your on-premises SQL Server Database. This includes ensuring that the gateway is up-to-date and that the necessary permissions are set up for the data source.

Manage a SQL Server data source - Power BI | Microsoft Learn
Review the limitations associated with deployment rules. For instance, deployment rules cannot be created in the development stage, and certain types of data source changes may not be supported directly through deployment rules.

Create deployment rules for Fabric's Application lifecycle management (ALM) - Microsoft Fabric | Mic...

vzhengdxumsft_0-1718343614849.png

Best Regards

Zhengdong Xu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.