We have been using Deployment Pipelines fairly successfully for 2 months now and working through issues. We need some ideas on how to best troubleshoot what is causing the dataset to be different, after a successful deployment from DEV to TEST.
What we did:
1. Downloaded Power BI Desktop Oct 2020 version
2. Implemented RLS into our dataset
3. Published "Sales" PBIX file into Deployment Pipeline DEV workspace
4. Had an administrator "Take Over" dataset ownership from publisher developer, made sure credentials to our 1 data source was valid and refreshed dataset successfully
5. In Deployment Pipelines interface, Administrator selected "Sales" report and dataset from DEV and promoted to TEST workspace "Successfully", however after deployment, the dataset was not equivalent, but the report was.
6. While troubleshooting, we had our BI "Sales" report developer rename the "Sales" report to "Sales_Test" and do the deployment of the report and dataset together from DEV to TEST, and the dataset was equivalent.
We dont want the Developer doing the deployments, so do you have any troubleshooting ideas on why things are different?
We are not using any of the following Unsupported items:
Deployment pipelines doesn't support the following items:
Datasets that do not originate from a .pbix
Reports based on unsupported datasets
I just created dev and test workspaces and assigned them to deployment stages which had this exact problem. Deploying dataset made on TE did instantly alert difference.
I waited for a while and redeployed, now it works. Could it be related to workspace configuration setupping which may take time.
It has been two years since this thread was posted and I am experiencing the exact same issue with our deployment pipeline. We have successfully operated our dataset promotion for over a year without any issue ever. Suddenly since last week our TEST & PROD pipeline show our main dataset as "Different", even though they are identical as they always have been and have been successfully deployed from DEV to TEST to PROD.
Is there any progress on identifying possible causes?
Hi @Data-Rainer ,
Status of "Different" for a deployed item shouldn't be expected right after a successful deployment (could be though after a failed deployment). Therefore, it could be one of the two:
In general, there could be several reasons for deployment pipeline to tag the "Different" label to an item, which can be ruoghly categorized as follow:
we're working these days on adding indication for 'Different' items, saying which of the above two reasoning categories is the reasone for the DIFF label. moreover, in case item got indication of code change, it would be possible for users to review the code changes (Read-only. Could be for only some item types at the begining).
Deployment pipeline PM
I am facing the same problem recently as others, and to my knowledge, I think none of the things you mentioned addressed the issue.
Exact same issue since this week, here too.
A few tests that I have done :
* Publish the dataset with a diferent name to force te creation of a new object, push to test --> says the files are different.
* I recover versions from setembre and octobre that worked fine at the time, push to test --> keeps saying the are different.
* I started removing content from the dataset to check if it is any part of the dataset that is broken and even with a simple single table connected to the source it keeps saying the files are different.
* When I test a new file with a dummy manual source it works fine.
It seems to me a bug on the deployment pipelines ?
Thank you @LeeBenjamin ,
To the best of my knowledge, none of your possible explaination could be a cause in our case.
We have not made any changes to any settings of the dataset for the last couple of weeks, other than some role edits for row level security.
The deployment pipeline is always successful.
How do I log a support ticket please?
I am having the exact same issue since the beginning of the week and would be super interested why this happening and how to resolve
How to create a Power BI Support Ticket:
After creating a ticket someone from Microsoft will contact you to get more details and investigate the issue.
Thank you. Can you share more details about the confirmation that it ? Will it be visible at the Known Issues ?
Thanks again !
Hi @perdigao18 and all,
As for now, this issue seems to be related to dataset having natural language Q&A. A fix for this issue will be release by MID january as @Data-Rainer mentioned.
However, in case of any doubt or concern, please contact support team that will know to say if this is the same issue or other.
I can confirm that the bug fix from Microsoft has worked for us. All our datasets show "equal" (not different) again after promoting them through the pipeline. Thanks @LeeBenjamin & the MS team for listening and fixing.
Get a sneak peek into this year's Power Platform Conference Keynote.
Take a look at the September 2023 Power BI update to learn more.
Join Microsoft Reactor and learn from developers.
Join us for a free, hands-on Microsoft workshop led by women trainers for women where you will learn how to build a Dashboard in a Day!