Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Default selection retained on filter pane even when the value does not exist in backend

Hi,

I need a solution to the problem that while publishing the report to service, I provided some default selections on filter pane. Then in future when data upated, we no longer have data for one of the default selections so that value should not be visible on filter pane but the filter pane is retaining that default selection even though data doe not exist in backend.

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @supriyapandey19 ,

It is primarily because Power BI stores report metadata and dataset separately. Hence, when you open the report after some items remove from data source and do refresh against the data source, the data itself does remove from the dataset but the selection on the report still exists. You could do these operations to make the change reflected to your report.

if these filters are set in Reading mode of the report, refresh the visuals on the report, and manually tick another choice on it or click on Erase icon to clear the filter. If the selection on filter pane is saved with the original report, you need do it in Edit mode of the report.

vcazhengmsft_0-1646720025279.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @supriyapandey19 ,

It is primarily because Power BI stores report metadata and dataset separately. Hence, when you open the report after some items remove from data source and do refresh against the data source, the data itself does remove from the dataset but the selection on the report still exists. You could do these operations to make the change reflected to your report.

if these filters are set in Reading mode of the report, refresh the visuals on the report, and manually tick another choice on it or click on Erase icon to clear the filter. If the selection on filter pane is saved with the original report, you need do it in Edit mode of the report.

vcazhengmsft_0-1646720025279.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

edhans
Super User
Super User

Design decision. Same happens with slicers. If the data changes, you have to change your default. Power BI assumes that data might come back so retains your choice. Otherwise reports with lot of pre-set selections would wipe them out if there was a single bad refresh with bad data.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors