Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hnereson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Date slicer not defaulting to today's date

When I've made "Calendar" tables using this function--Calendar(min(date), today()), my date slicers set to "Between" have always defaulted to end on today's date. In the last few weeks, I've noticed a lot of my reports published in Service to only default to the last date that I republished the report. 

I know that I can change these slicers to "Relative Date." However, my users prefer this between functionality. Has anyone else seen these and found a fix??

I attached a pic of the slicer with today's date selected which defaults to 1/27/2023 (last republished date). 

hnereson_0-1675704322166.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
hnereson
Advocate I
Advocate I

After doing a deep dive into my reports and running a few tests, I found the solution to my issue. Hopefully this will help other people. I appreciate the input from the other responders!

On the slicer, you need to turn "Responsive" to off. This can be done in the desktop app or in edit mode on the Service. Below is a picture to navigate to this setting. There must be a new update that changed this. 

hnereson_0-1676047630448.png

@Hensku -hope this fixes your issue with the bookmarks!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
hnereson
Advocate I
Advocate I

After doing a deep dive into my reports and running a few tests, I found the solution to my issue. Hopefully this will help other people. I appreciate the input from the other responders!

On the slicer, you need to turn "Responsive" to off. This can be done in the desktop app or in edit mode on the Service. Below is a picture to navigate to this setting. There must be a new update that changed this. 

hnereson_0-1676047630448.png

@Hensku -hope this fixes your issue with the bookmarks!

Thanks @hnereson also been experiencing the same issue until now, I have implemented the changes and am yet to observe if it will as expected.

Yeah I'm still having the same problem. I was hoping there would be a solution to this issue.

Hensku

I am experiencing the same issue related to created bookmark. It was working earlier, but now has stopped to work and is defaulting to the date when the bookmark was created. 

Hensku_0-1675849012163.png

Refresh is running daily. 

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @hnereson 

According to your problem, you use the DAX expression Calendar(min(date), today()) to create a dynamic date calculation table to place in a date slicer, which will work normally until it is published to the service, but the maximum date that appears in the date slicer after publishing to the service is always the date on the day it was published to the service. If this is the case, I think it is related to the fact that your dataset has not performed a data refresh after it was published to the service, because the dynamic date calculation table you created will only re-execute the corresponding DAX expression Calendar(min(date), today()) to calculate and generate data once when the data is refreshed, which means that if the data is not refreshed. The value returned by the Today() function will always stay on the date of publication to the service. This is the root cause of this error.

For setting up automatic scheduled refresh for the dataset above the service, you can refer to this official document:
Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Appreciate your response @v-yueyunzh-msft! All of my reports are scheduled to refresh daily. So today's date is an option in the slicers. However, this is not the defaulted view when they are opened in the Service.

Hi , @hnereson 

Sorry for misunderstanding, if you want the slicer's default option to default to today's value after each data update, which is the maximum date value in the data model, I think you can explore whether you can try this custom visual "PreSelected Slicer" to achieve your needs:

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1675826675138.png

For more information, you can refer to this case :
Solved: How to set last 2 months as default filter in a po... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @hnereson 

The slicer wouldn't show today's date unless the Dataset(report) is refreshed today. It sounds like you are refreshing the report on-demand or by republishing it. 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

Sorry the refresh schedule wasn't clear. These reports are refreshed daily or twice a day. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors