Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ykannan
Helper I
Helper I

Datasource name change affects the reports to connect to model

Hi,

We have 2 yr sales in production. Started new enhancement to bring lifetime sales (18 years sales data).  

Oracle is backend. Appended new Materalized view (PBI_MV_Salesfact.vw) with existing view (PBI_Sales_fact_Two_Yrs) by using UNION ALL. (We took care of no duplicates)

PBI_Sales_fact_Two_Yrs code before:

select * from order where order_date>='01/01/2021'

Tobring lifetime sales,

Created new Materalized view PBI_MV_Salesfact_Archive.vw

select * from order where order_date<'01/01/2021'

Changed PBI_Sales_fact_Two_Yrs as,

select * from PBI_MV_Salesfact_Archive

Union All

select * from order where order_date>='01/01/2021'

Steps:

1. Added Incremental refresh in sales query

2. Published to Test worspace

3. Manually refreshed. Took 1 hr to bring 7M records.

4. Created orders and refreshed. 

5. Refreshed in 10 mins to bring the new orders

6. All good until now.

7. Just changed the view name from PBI_Sales_fact_Two_Yrs to PBI_HISTORICAL_Sales_fact

8. In Model file, Edit Query-> Click on Navigation->selected the new view. Rest of the transformation stayed same

9. Refreshed data in Power BI Desktop, all good able to see lifetime sales

10. Published to OTHER Test workspace

11. Used the sales report (sales.pbix) just point to the changed model. NO SALES DATA. Other query data are coming. But point to previous TEST Workspace, it is working. Point to Production workspace it is working.

12. New desktop file connects to same models, able to see lifetime sales data

13. In service, create report->selected the model->able to see lifetime sales data

14. The issue is: when the new source view is selected, existing sales.pbix file unable to recognize the particular sales query. Is this a bug? is there a workaround?

Recreating all reports points to the new model is huge task. Looking for a solution when I replace existing model with new model, so all reports should show lifetime sales data with new files.

Thanks,

Yoga

1 REPLY 1
StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/it-ch/blog/connecting-to-datasets-in-the-power-bi-service-from-desktop....

if the exiting report are created using live connection just need to substitute the file and check any possible link in the report that could have broken if not sadbly you will need to recreate the report using the new dataset, big oportunity if its this way to implement live conection report to a central dataset that a good practice to do. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors