Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Borrek
Frequent Visitor

Datasource credentials in shared reports

Hey,

I work with few clients providing them with reports in PBI. For each client I created Big Query project where I store data and PBI workspace for reports. I use my credentials to pull data from BQ to PBI. My clients have viewer access to reports and use their own PBI Pro accounts to access it (as guest users). 

However one of my clients wants contributor access so that he can also work on the PBI report. As I understand if I grant him such access after downloading pbix file he will also have access to other BQ projects of my clients (downloaded pbix will enable him to connect BQ using my credentials).

Is that correct? How can I limit his access to only his BQ project?

I tried to create separate gmail accounts (needed for BQ) for each client with limited BQ access but it seems that even if I change credentials in PBI Desktop once the project is uploaded my credentails are used. Moreover even changing credentials in PBI service to those associated with separate gmail accounts does not solve the problem (still my credentials are in use). 

Any ideas would be more than welcomed.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Borrek 

If this is the case I would create a new App Workspace and assign the user contributor rights in this app workspace.

Currently there is no way to configure more granular controls in an App Workspace.

You can vote for the idea if there is on at https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors