Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

saketmaheshwari

Dataset refresh is failing

Hi ,
I have one Power BI report publish in Power BI service and its dataset refresh activity is schduled in every 3 hours.

Dataset refresh activity was schduled using personal account. It was working from last one year but suddently It started failing from 18th March 2023 with error message 

Cannot open server SERVER NAME requested by the login. Client with IP address 'XX.XX.XXX.XX' is not allowed to access the server. To enable access, use the Windows Azure Management Portal or run sp_set_firewall_rule on the master database to create a firewall rule for this IP address or address range. It may take up to five minutes for this change to take effect.. The exception was raised by the IDbConnection interface.

When I tried to refresh the dataset manually, then also it failed. But after sometime it refreshed dataset sucessfully, 

Still scheudled refresh activity is failling and manual refresh is also failing sometime. 

Kindly suggesrt the best solutuon.

4 REPLIES 4
saketmaheshwari

Thamk you @edhans 
I will check with IT team about all these IP.

edhans
Super User
Super User

Contact your IT department. They have restricted access on refreshes to specific IP addresses in the Azure portal. Or log into your VPN and create the refresh that way - IP addresses in your firewall should be whitelisted unless your IT department really restricted it to a few people. In that case, you still need to contact them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Thank for your response.
I connected with the IT team and they whitelisted the IP addess and data refresh run successfully. 
Unfortunately today when I perfrom the refresh it failed again and this time I see a diffeent IP address.

How to perfrom refresh with a specifc IP to avoid such issue?

Go here to see a list of all of the addresses the Azure service uses. There is a section down around row 23,898 that lists the addresses the Power BI service itself uses.

Download Azure IP Ranges and Service Tags – Public Cloud from Official Microsoft Download Center

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors