Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

rdnguyen
Helper V
Helper V

Dataset at Power BI service refresh

Hi All,

I am having unknownn issue with a dataset that has been spinning forever in refresh mode until time out. Things went well until 3 days ago. No update to the dataset lately and the dataset is scheduled for auto refresh every morning.

I noticed that each time timeout, I check the Refresh history and noticed that error message is different which causing timeout issue.

In my case, what would you suggest to work around? Is there a way to replace that malfunctioned dataset?

Thanks,

Rich

5 REPLIES 5
rdnguyen
Helper V
Helper V

Hi Caiyun,

I appreciated your reminder, but that suggested link didn't work for my case.

I posted the error as above. 

I fixed the dataset last night by changing its setting from "Large dataset format" to small and it just worked like a charm. I am not sure what was the difference between the two setting of large and small dataset refresh.

One of the failure reason I noticed is the SQL query which I send to SQL DB, looking into the same fact table to collect date range of the fact table. Then use that to populate a Date dimension which is expectedly a independent table from fact table.

Any idea regarding my change in setting that overcome the error in refresh? Kindly discuss.

Thanks and best regards.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rdnguyen ,

May I know whether the solution from Tutu_in_YYC helps you solve your problem? If you have no issue with this solution, could you please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Or if you still have problems on it, please let us know more details of your report. Thanks in advance. These info are such as:

• The data source of it and its connection mode
  • What’s errors displayed in the refresh history
  • If you refresh it with on-demand refresh or refresh it in Power BI Desktop with the download pbix file from Service, will you get same issue?
  • What kind of capacity is the report in? Premium or Shared? If remove it to another capacity, will you have same problem?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

rdnguyen
Helper V
Helper V

Hi Tutu,

Kindly help me interpret the error message:

Data source error: {"error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError","pbi.error":{"code":"DM_GWPipeline_Gateway_TimeoutError","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}} Table: Date_Range.
Cluster URI: WABI-PAAS-1-SCUS-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: b71cec75-d4f2-4f64-8b3a-6e5a9e3e2717
Request ID: 875d4cd9-8d0c-4fa1-b1ad-d619d0f914ef
Time: 2022-03-18 10:02:29Z

Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Rich,
Can you share the error messages? I'd also republish the dataset separately and check if the issue persist. If it persists, then you need to look into the dataset and data sources, as there many reasons why refresh will time out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors