Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kwinningham
Frequent Visitor

Datamart stopped connecting to its Dataset

"Unable to open the datamart because it is not connected to its dataset. Wait a few seconds, and then try again."

No changes have been made to the datamart from the last time I was able to open it under normal conditions. Now I am receiving the error listed above. What is causing this and how do I resolve this? I need to deploy this datamart.

8 REPLIES 8
MarioCoppola
Regular Visitor

• I had the same issue last august, the support was not able to recover the datamart/dataset due to the fact the datamart was in preview. So I decided to wait that datamart was more stable and less buggy. Last week I decided to retry it with a new project but after 2 days Im having the same issue. I'll try to solve it in some way, if it doesn't work I'm not going to waste other time till the feature is not generally available.

Oddly it seemed to Docmd itself a couple of days later.

This is not the first time this has happened in PBIDMs for me in the last while. Am surprised this has not been given some priority as it really makes me reluctant to commit to DMs.. but I really like what they offer over the traditional PBI for my specific interests.

Adamboer
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This error typically occurs when the datamart is not connected to its corresponding dataset. It is possible that the connection between the datamart and dataset was lost due to a network or server issue. You can try refreshing the connection between the datamart and dataset by following these steps:

1. Open the Power BI desktop application and navigate to the "Edit Queries" button on the Home tab.
  2. Select the "Data Source Settings" option.
  3. Locate the dataset that the datamart is connected to and select "Edit Permissions".
  4. Ensure that the datamart is listed as having access to the dataset.
  5. Save the changes and close the window.
  6. Navigate back to the datamart and attempt to open it again.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, it may be necessary to reach out to Power BI support for further assistance.

This error isn't coming from desktop, this is coming from PBI service. 

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @kwinningham ,

It’s a known issue . The engineers are actively working on this issue and I will come back with an update if there is any progress.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That's been a fact since last year I can see.  Is there a fix? I just had another Datamart go down this way just yesterday.  It is a serious consideration before I would recommend the PBIDM to anyone. (and that REALLY makes me sad)

"Rick"

Hi 

I am also having similar issue, infact this is the 3rd issue i have had in and many weeks where a process that has been working for over a year, just stops, i've opened a support ticket and you get told this is expected behavior..... yeah right.

Edit* My issue is i can not connect to the datamart or it's data set via Power BI desktop or If i try to create a report in the service. I can open the datamart no problems and can connect to it via excel. I assume this is related?

I think it's about time MS and the dev team actually release datamarts and started supporting them properly, probably one of the best additions to Power BI, yet its been "In preview" for how long now....

Are they planning a release or is this just ongoing? I can't just to tell my executives that they can't view their data until microsoft gets there house in order.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors