Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Mardin
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Dataflow to SAP HANA unable to connect: "Please specify how to connect."

I am successfully able to connect to SAP HANA from Power BI Desktop.

I am successfully able to add SAP HANA data source to our On Premise Gateway and perform a scheduled refresh of a report.

But when I try create a Dataflow in Power BI Service by simply copying the query text from Power BI Desktop Advanced Query Editor and paste it into the Dataflow "Blank Query" interface I am unable to proceed and connect.

It keep saying "Please specify how to connect." even when I enter the same user credentials that I can successfully connect with in both Power BI Desktop and the On Premise Gateway.

Any suggestions?

Based on article below the SAP HANA connector should now be supported in Dataflows.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/da-dk/blog/power-bi-dataflows-january-updates/

Untitled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mardin,

Yes, I can reproduce this issue.

You can refer to below steps if it works on your side:

1. Add a new entity with another type of datasource(e.g, sql) and use your gateway to manage this entity.
2. Add new entity with 'blank query' connector and manually input SAP query formula.
3. Click 'please specify how to connect' to input your credentials and you can find your gateway(which used in other dataflow) has be recognized as default gateway to handle current SAP datasource.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
joel_gibby_csc
Helper II
Helper II

Just an FYI, the Port drop down selection for HANA sources allows typing in a custom port. Just click in the field and type.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Mardin,

Yes, I can reproduce this issue.

You can refer to below steps if it works on your side:

1. Add a new entity with another type of datasource(e.g, sql) and use your gateway to manage this entity.
2. Add new entity with 'blank query' connector and manually input SAP query formula.
3. Click 'please specify how to connect' to input your credentials and you can find your gateway(which used in other dataflow) has be recognized as default gateway to handle current SAP datasource.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

this is still a active UI Bug in PBI Service! UI doesnt allow to provide a custom port for hana connect, pbi desktop UI does allow this! you need to either apply the workaround described or do following:

- Create a JSON file with the correct defintion as a template

- Create a new dataflow in PBI Service by importing this json 

@v-shex-msft

do you know if this bug was fixed?

Regards

No, unfortunately the issue remains. Just tested again this morning.

Yes!! That did the trick! Thank you!

Hopefully this bug will get fixed sooner or later.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors