Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rockcliff15
Frequent Visitor

Data type change of SQL field appears in dataflow but not Power BI desktop

I have a SQL table with employment figures in it and have an associated data flow that pulls from this table into the Power BI Service. Reports reference this dataflow and everything is fine.

However the TotalEmployees field in the SQL table has changed from an Integer to a decimal so we can store info on part-time staff more accurately.

I have gone into the dataflow in the Power BI Service and when I refreshed the data, the datatype changed to a decimal...great.

However when users connect to the dataflow from Power BI desktop, the TotalEmployed field is still showing as an integer. Converting the data type in Power BI desktop does not fix this. (See screenshots)

It is almost as if the datatype is being cached somewhere in the service?

Thanks in advance

Dataflow

Dataflow.PNG 

Power BI Desktop

Desktop.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
rockcliff15
Frequent Visitor

The issue was due to Power BI desktop caching the datatype of the dataflow. I was able to fix this by clearing the cache in the desktop program.

To do this I followed this guide:

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/how-to-clear-cache-of-power-bi-desktop

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
rockcliff15
Frequent Visitor

The issue was due to Power BI desktop caching the datatype of the dataflow. I was able to fix this by clearing the cache in the desktop program.

To do this I followed this guide:

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/blogs/how-to-clear-cache-of-power-bi-desktop

Thanks

Hi @rockcliff15 ,

Thanks a lot for sharing information. It will help others in the community if they face the same problem with you. Thank you.

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors