Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard with multiple RLS roles work in My Workspace but fails in Premium workspace

I have set up a dashboard with dataset for users similar to this blog: https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-profiles-and-users-in-power-bi

User table

user_nameuser_email
user1user1@mail.com
user2user2@mail.com
user3user3@mail.com

User Profile table

user_emailprofile_name
user1@mail.comprofile1
user1@mail.comprofile2
user2@mail.comprofile2
user3@mail.comprofile3

Profile table

profile_nameprofile_status
profile1prod
profile2prod
profile3prod

Relationship:

User (1) --[cross filter: single]--> (*) User Profile (*) --[cross filter: single (user profile filters profile)]--> (*) Profile

I have also set up a bunch of static RLS roles for security groups with the same name for the profiles. One user can belong to multiple RLS roles

DAX expression are set up in the following tables

User table - Dynamic RLS: [user_email] = USERNAME()

User Profile table - Static RLS: [user_email] = USERNAME() || [profile_name] = "profile1"

The dashboard when tested for multiple roles including both static and dynamic RLS roles, works fine in PowerBI Desktop and also My Workspace after published. Somehow, the dashboard stopped working after published to a Premium workspace. Has anyone experience this before?

Would greatly appreciate if anyone knows how to fix this or could give some pointers on how to fix this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This issue has been submitted internally.

Internal ICM ID: 280683445.

If there is any news, I will update it here.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

This issue has been submitted internally.

Internal ICM ID: 280683445.

If there is any news, I will update it here.

Best Regards,

Jay

Any news? It´s been a while now.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please check the public document with the scenario and its limitation.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls#issue-multiple-roles-and-limited-relationships

Best Regards,

Jay

Same as Carlsson; I really need a fix for this, the workaround here is not simple to implement in our model and it has been working for over a year previously

This was working fine before. I´m aware of the workarounds but.. not ideal.

Do you have any idea when the solution will be in place?

We are still facing the same problem - a combination of dynamic and static roles causes the issue that users don't see any data anymore. As mentioned by Carlsson, the workarounds are not ideal at all. 
Is there any news about when a solution will be in place? It's quite a while now since January...

Hi, 

I would also like to report that this is happening in my organisation. Only when people are in multiple roles.

Any update on this?

Thanks,

Chris

Any further updates on this? I am also experiencing this issue

Any news on updates?  It's causing large issues for our organization now.  Thanks!

bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

Don't think it's a fix as such but have a read through this thread 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Users-with-multiple-security-roles-suddenly-can-t-see-data/...

As far as we could tell in the December release of power bi desktop and service many to many cardinality relationships stopped working when multiple roles were selected. 

Suspect if you upgrade power bi desktop you'll get the same error. The slightly odd bit is reading your post sounds like it is still working ok in My Workspace?

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well the dashboard was working with the multiple RLS roles about 3 weeks ago and stopped working in Jan 2022. So, I did suspect some sort of update might be the cause but my version of the PI Desktop is the Sept 2021 version. 

I also understand the odd part about the dashboard working on one workspace and not on another workspace. I tried changing the file name to test just in case it wasn't a caching issue but same results. I really do not get why it stopped working in Premium workspace. Not sure if the powerbi service workspaces are different - Premium vs personal workspace.

Out at the moment but I'll try uploading my test file to my workspace do see if we get the same result.

All a bit odd!

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

A bit more information. I do get similar error as the thread you shared regarding security filters = both. However, I do not have security filter enabled for any of the relationships for all my tables. I may have some relationships with cross filter = both but not security filter enabled for any of them. 

Error msg: "The user belongs to multiple roles 'profile1, profile2' that have security filters, which isn't supported when one of the roles has filters affecting table 'records' with SecurityFilteringBehavior=Both relationships."

Looking at your relationships and demo data...

"

Relationship:

User (1) --[cross filter: single]--> (*) User Profile (*) --[cross filter: single (user profile filters profile)]--> (*) Profile"

why is User Profile to Profile, Many to Many? 

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the only way to get it working when user is assigned to 2 roles with both static and dynamic RLS roles.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors