Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

KPH
Regular Visitor

Dashboard access - potentially worrying!

Background:

We have a dashboard and associated reports that have been published to a Power BI Group.  The group has a number of Testers who have been setup as "Members" with read only access.

The dashboard & reports can be accessed via the Group Workspace only

All of the Testers can modify the dashboard tiles but only within their current session i.e. as soon as they reload or sign out and back in again the tiles revert to their default state

However one of the testers has managed to modify the dashboard in a persistant way i.e. the changes are visible to other users.  Strangely, his ability to do this is not consistent i.e. he cannot correct the changes he has made

Questions:

Should read only members (non-admin) of the group be able to modify the dashboard at all?

If Yes can this ability be removed or reduced?  - Use a Content Pack & BI Group together?

How is it possible for a read only (non admin member of the group to unpredictablybe able to modify the dashboard for all users?

Any insight appreciated

KPH

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KPH,

I agree with @ankitpatira. If we grant the group member view only permission, this member can interact with the dashboard tiles but all these changes will not be saved and affect other people's view results.

As you mentioned "However one of the testers has managed to modify the dashboard in a persistant way i.e. the changes are visible to other users.  Strangely, his ability to do this is not consistent i.e. he cannot correct the changes he has made", please double verify this member has view only permission.

Also please check if this group member can make changes to all dashboard or only some specific dashboards. Are these dashboards are coming from content packs? Maybe the original content pack changed and reflect to the dashboards.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun, @ankitpatira

Many thanks for your responses, however I have to confess that I remain baffled:

The user is a member of a Power BI group with read only rights to the content

The dashboard is only available via this group

Periodically & unpredictably one  member with read only rights is able to resize/move a dashboard tile to the shared dashboard i.e. the change is persitant when they reload or log out and back in again

Interestingly, the users has not to date been able to revert the change made

Regards

KPH

Hi @KPH,

What do you mean about "Periodically & unpredictably one  member with read only rights is able to resize/move a dashboard tile to the shared dashboard "? Can you share the detail steps to move a dashboard which in a group workspace to a shared dashboard? Actually we can resize the dashboard tiles, but it will not reflect other users' view.

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@KPH In my experience when privacy for the group is set to 'Members can ony view power bi content' they cannot make any changes. Members can rearrange tiles but even that won't save and if they try to make any other changes such as edit tile details or title it will throw 'Failed to save error'.

Members of group can modify content if you've got that setup in privacy level setting. Make sure your privacy level setting for the group is set to 'Members can only view Power BI content'.

Captu.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Top Solution Authors