Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jayaxe
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dashboard Randomly Display Old Data

For the dashboard on Power BI service, it keeps showing random old data (e.g. last Saturday) even though I manually refreshed the dashboard with the latest data. I have about less than 10 automated dashboard emails and some are sent with the randomly wrong data!

To be sure I'm not using outdated versions, I downloaded the latest Power BI desktop, upload the reports onto Service and redo all the dashboard tiles. But the problem still persists, randomly, some dashboards still show outdated info. This problem seemed to have started about a week ago or so. Before that everything seemed ok. Would greatly appreciate help on this.

I was thinking if I can roll back to old versions of Power BI desktop and try? And if so, is this possible? Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
ChemicalStats14
Regular Visitor

did anyone find a solution to this issue? we are experiencing it with a dashboard utilized across our org, so it's a bit embarrassing when it randomly shows data from 3 weeks ago and we don't have an explanation for the problem

No, since this issue first surfaced around March 2023, my email subscription for the dashboards sometimes still show data from a few days ago. One way that worked 99% of the time was to open the dashboards myself and refresh them manually just before the email subscriptions are sent. It's a rather foolish and manual move but this is the best I can do. 

MrCook
Regular Visitor

I am currently dealing with the same issue. This seems to have started over the last 2 - 3 months. No changes were made to my dashboards but all of the sudden I'm dealing with "caching" of old data and have to manually refresh dashboard, resend emails,...  Was there any recent change that could've impacted the email subscriptions?

Yes exact same situation for me since mid March. Sometimes, the email subscription shows data from past days. What I'm trying to do now is to manually refresh the dashboard around the time before the automated email is sent. Still have the wrong data showing in the occasional email but at least it is better than many emails sending the wrong data.

9mikejacobs
Frequent Visitor

I am experiencing similar issues with dashboards.  I am using a report in direct query mode and the dashboards built over it are displaying outdated data in the email that is distributed as well as in the workspace when you open one of them.  

jayaxe
Advocate I
Advocate I

Yes, I'm a Pro user and have submitted a support ticket.

Just for info, after updating Power BI desktop to latest version and replacing all dashboards with completely new ones, the problem seems to have lessen but it still does not completely go away. But I realise that it seems not the dashboard itself that is the problem. How I come to this deduction is because some of my dashboards have tiles from several Power BIs, and the data from the same Power BI shows the wrong/outdated info. So it leads to me to believe that the Power BI loaded in service seems to store cached data and load into the dashboard incorrectly. I might be wrong but it looks to me it has happened this way.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Im using this version of PBI - Version: 2.115.842.0 64-bit (March 2023) & quite sure the issue was visible from this month. 

v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @jayaxe 

According to your description, the data in your dashboard show the old data in your dashborad?

First of all, if you are using import mode, then the data in the dashboard tile will be automatically synchronized when your dataset is refreshed.If you show old data, you can try emptying the current browser's page cache. Or go to the corresponding dataset to check whether the source data is the latest data and whether the dataset has been refreshed.

If you are using Live Connection or DirectQuery mode.A tile is a report visual pinned to a dashboard, and dashboard tile refreshes happen about every hour so that the tiles show recent results. You can change the schedule in the dataset settings, as in the screenshot below, or force a dashboard update manually by using the Refresh now option.

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1679449422783.png

For more information, you can refer to :
Data refresh in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Appreciate the kind help and reply.

To be exact, I'm using Import Mode so i guess the 2nd part of your reply doesn't apply to my case? Anyway, what happened is that I go in one of the dashboards, it shows old data (like yesterday). I manually refreshed it but when I go back to the same dashboard later, it can maybe show "Last Saturday".

I think the browser cache clearing will work but how does it explain that the automated dashboard email also will show the randomly wrong, old data? If the email report depends on my browser cache, then something is wrong I guess. Also, I'm using the same account on multiple computers and the phenomenon is the same everywhere... 

Hi , @jayaxe 

According to your description, your dashboard email show the old data ? 

If this , can you check if the time of the email subscription is after the time of each dataset refresh which is used in your dashboard?

In normal circumstances, under import mode, the cache of the tile will be updated after the dataset is refreshed.

When there is an inconsistency on your page, can you go to the dataset to check if the data is up-to-date? Or do you try clicking on the refresh image in the upper right corner of dashborad to try to show the latest data after refreshing?

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having this issue as well. Its been good so far but in the past 3-4 weeks, the data in the dashboard & tables is different from whats there in the query editor. To force the correct data in to the tables view and dashboard, I tried filtering the data in the edit query and removing the filter. after this the latest data appears for those records, Not sure about the other records though. Not sure if its a bug with one of its latest release or if I am doing something wrong. The data reaches the dataset perfectly Ok, but for some reason it seems to store the previous old data somewhere inbetween and its publishin that. I've also switched off the cache in the settings. FYI the issue is happening in PBI Desktop as well as thats where I was testing it (after seeing the issue inthe browser). Need someone to deep dive and provide a solution asap pelase.

Yes exactly, I can resonate the "for some reason, it seems to store previous old data somewhere" because I actually manually refreshed the dashboard and also cleared my browser cache but the problem seems to keep recurring randomly.

But funny thing is, Power BI desktop and the Power BI in service are perfectly ok, just the dashboards and the automated emails sent from them. I'm experimenting with the latest Power BI desktop version and also deleting the current dashboards to make completely new ones so everything is 'new'. So far, it seems the problem is reduced but still randomly occurs. I hope the Microsoft developers in this area can look into it. Thanks!

Hi , @jayaxe 

This is really very strange, in my understanding import mode refresh will automatically update the cache of the dashboard, the dashboard should not appear any old historical data, and you also said that after clicking the "refresh" button in the upper right corner there will still be random data, this is really an incomprehensible problem.

If you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors