Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cbl
Frequent Visitor

Creating an app workspace still creates an Office 365 group

When creating an app workspace in Power BI, a new Office 365 group is also created. A welcome e-mail is sent to workspace members welcoming them to the new Office 365 group. The group has an e-mail, Planner, OneDrive and SharePoint site is also created.

I tested this today, and the issue still persists, although the documentation in this FAQ says otherwise:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-create-apps/

This is a huge problem, as the members of our organisation is confusing the Power BI "groups" with actual AD groups, as the Power BI groups are also appearing in the address book for Outlook.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cbl,

You can see from the document you provided, it said: 

Over the next few months, we plan on the following enhancements to app workspaces:

• Creating app workspaces won't create corresponding entities in Office 365 like group workspaces do. So you can create any number of app workspaces without worrying about different Office 365 groups being created behind the scenes (you can still use an Office 365 group’s OneDrive for Business to store your files).

It means create a app workspace will create a corresponding Office 365 group currently. What you get is expected. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
willharris24
Advocate I
Advocate I

looks like this being fixed now?

"new" power bi workspaces are independent of office 365 groups etc....  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-create-the-new-workspaces#app-workspace-features-t...

@willharris24 wrote:

looks like this being fixed now?

Well its in preview at least. Can't imagine it will be in preview for very long.

IcyCooldrink
Frequent Visitor

Hey Microsoft Team,

I think a lot of us are still waiting for some kind of update on this.

We need PowerBI to keep Apps/Workspaces distinct from Office 365 groups.

Likewise, I'd be very interested to know if there are any plans to prevent Office 365 groups from automatically being made available as Workspaces.  For administrative reasons, we need to be able to control where users create reports and having them inherit Workspaces from Office365 groups they are legitimately members of for other reasons, really makes this impossible.

Thanks,

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Can you provide any updates on this by any chance?

Thanks,

jimmcslim
Helper III
Helper III

I notice that the Microsoft Teams development team appears to have resolved a similar issue with their usage of Office 365 Groups...

"Updated feature: Office 365 Groups created from Microsoft Teams will be hidden from Outlook by default"

Is there any chance that Power BI can do the same please?

Hi, I would like an update on this issue as well.  We do not want a power bi workspace greated everytime an exchange group is created.  Is there a way to disable this?

One thing we need to realize is that MS teams dont really fix issues quickly unless it is highlighted by a 100000 user company.  Obviously, they will have different priorities.  If you need attention from the vendor, look elsewhere.  MS, Google, Amazon and Apple are not your friend for small and medium companies.

To a certain degree it is understandable that the prioroties and workloads of the big end of town are not a perfect match to everyone, so a certain amount of lee-way makes sense.

Having said that, I think that this and a few other glaring errors and omissions (administrators cannot see what is being created by users - really?) make this product a poor fit for the market they are aiming at.  To get the administrative control we were after required the top tier membership, which simply priced them out of the market (and this despite the fact we are a full Microsoft stack shop and their repeated descriptions as being at the cheaper end of the market).

Sadly, and this may be inappropriate to admit here, we have since moved to Qlik and are enjoying full control of our environment, rapid response from vendor requests, and at a price point of well less than half of the proposed Microsoft solution.  And I say sadly, because up until this point, we have proudly been a 100% Microsoft shop.

AxelPrunier
Advocate II
Advocate II

This issue is super annoying... Hope it will be solved quick..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would be interested to have an update on this as well..

I would like to also know when it will be possible to create App workspace without Groups. It is totally useless when the group is created behind the workspace. There is limit for Groups 500k per tenant. There is a lot of applications where is created the group behind - Planner, Teams, Yammer (when it is set up), Dynamics, Outlook, SharePoint (Team sites), StaffHub... In some cases - Outlook, SharePoint, Teams it makes sense because you really use this space (group) but for PowerBI? Do you know when it will be disabled?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any news from Power BI team on this?

Has the O365 group creation been disabled?

Will it be apossible for the creator to select wether O365 group is created or not?

It seems like for a while O365 groups weren't being created for each workspace... then today I created a workspace and it created an O365 group.  It's frustrating that this happened and also frustrating that it isn't consistent behavior.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @cbl,

You can see from the document you provided, it said: 

Over the next few months, we plan on the following enhancements to app workspaces:

• Creating app workspaces won't create corresponding entities in Office 365 like group workspaces do. So you can create any number of app workspaces without worrying about different Office 365 groups being created behind the scenes (you can still use an Office 365 group’s OneDrive for Business to store your files).

It means create a app workspace will create a corresponding Office 365 group currently. What you get is expected. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Was this ever resolved? The App Workspace is still creating office groups and emailing all employees in it for my organization.

Is this resolved ?  or  Creating an app workspace still creates an Office 365 group,  I am getting below error while trying to create app workspace 

or is there any way to create app workspace without creating an Office 365 group

Something went wrong
Couldn't create the app workspace.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity IDe7d883c9-1129-4e49-958e-6f478c976be6
Request ID30f67e34-b0ae-aa56-ac3c-a51e26dcb74f
Correlation IDe2e1bd89-427a-12f8-0dc0-eb550d0fac87
Status code500
TimeWed Apr 11 2018 00:23:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version13.0.4898.204

Is this resolved? The App Workspace still needs to create office 365 groups. I am getting below error while creating app workspace

Something went wrong

Couldn't create the app workspace.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity IDe7d883c9-1129-4e49-958e-6f478c976be6
Request ID30f67e34-b0ae-aa56-ac3c-a51e26dcb74f
Correlation IDe2e1bd89-427a-12f8-0dc0-eb550d0fac87
Status code500
TimeWed Apr 11 2018 00:23:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Version13.0.4898.204

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors