Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

loga328

Couldnt connect to Folder datasource which is using the different credentials

I'm trying to a data source of type folder. In the gateway server, I could map the share drive which I want to access via a different credentials. However, in PowerBI service, when I tried to create the data source with the same credentials I get the below error since its not the Windows credentials.  

Invalid connection credentials.
Underlying error code: -2147467259
Underlying error message: The credentials provided for the Folder source are invalid. 

Not sure if there any solution yet.

3 REPLIES 3
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @loga328 

Well, they are the same credentials and then they probably aren't the same credentials technically. O365 uses Azure AD as its authentication mechanism. Most organizations have AD on premises or you might have a local user account on your computer. It may look like the same format when you logon, but technically not the same credential. What if you switch your Windows authentication to the form: DOMAIN\userid?

So, if you logon with first.last@company.com, you could try "company\first.last". If you have a local user account, I believe it would be WORKGROUP\first.last.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Thanks for the response.  @lbendlin  I could create the folder as a source in my local since it uses my windows credentials.

@v-diye-msft :  Let me try to explain a bit more. Let's say I want to access a share path like \\serverA.corporate.net\FolderA\ for which I could use only corporate domain username (corporate\firstname.lastname) and password provided by my company. In the PBI dateway server, which is a Azure VM and it doesnt belong to the company domain, we could map the folder share using the corporate domain credentials. 

Now, while trying to create a data source of folder type,  in the Windows username if I specify the local account, it gives the error:

We got the IO error '1326' while trying to access the path \\serverA.corporate.net\FolderA\

if I specify the corporate credentials, it fails with below error since its not a Windows username.

The credentials provided for the Folder source are invalid. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Can you create the datasource in Power BI Desktop instead of on the service?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors