Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

desertislesql
Helper III
Helper III

Cost Power BI Publish to Web Pricing, Sharepoint and Embedded Licensing

I have two questions. If you want to include a Power BI report in SharePoint using webparts, do you have to have a Power BI Embedded license?

How much does it cost now to expose Power BI reports to the web as the old links to that information are different?

Before posting these questions, I looked all over the interwebs for this information and could not find it.  Here is what I found. I read this post https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-publish-to-web/ which includes all of the technical information on Power BI Publish to web.  What it does not include is information on pricing. 

This site https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/publishtoweb/ leads me to belive that Publish to Web is free for non-Profits.  There is no detaild pricing information available here.  The links that I used to look at regarding Power BI Web pricing now refer me to this site https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/power-bi-embedded/ which talks about Power BI embedded not publish to web. 

I read something else online which says that you can use webparts instead of embedding and expose Power BI content via Publish to web so that internal users could access the report without having a Power BI License. Based on the information I have read on the embedded Power BI license, I thought that was violating licensing terms.

As licensing has changed, there seems to be a gap in the documention regarding embedded and pricing.  If anyone can provide more claritiy on this, I would appreciate it. 

1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @desertislesql,

Embed in SharePoint Online is only available with Power BI Pro. Each user that views the report mush have a Power BI Pro license. See: Embed with report web part in SharePoint Online.

Publish to web is available for both pro and free users. As there is no authentication used when viewing these reports, end users can view the report without any license as long as they know the link.

If you are embedding for non-Power BI users, you need to purchase Premium license. If it's for Power BI users, the end user of your application needs to sign into the Power BI service when you want to view your content in the application. For more information, see: Embedding with Power BI. As this issue is related to Power BI developer, please post a thread in Developer forum if you still have concern about embedding pricing.

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors