Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MSchultz93
Frequent Visitor

Control PBI in a large organisation

Hello, I work in a large organisation that has Office 365 E5 for all employees which means they have Power BI Pro. 

My team has encounter an intresting scenario that can happen with Power BI and not with Qlik. In Qlik we can decide who can build reports and distrubute them. However with PBI when everyone has Power BI Pro anyone can build and distrubute reports. Some managers obtain data from data sources in excel files and build PBI reports and distrubute them

Other managers that are more technically an have a database user to their for example CRM system, theyobtain data with setting up a connection to the data source directly.

We as developers use a SQL Server where we obtain data using SSIS. We would like to get better control of the managers that build and distribute their own reports. We don't want to connect all systems in the organization to SSIS and our Microsoft SQL to have total control, we still want people to have freedom to build and distribute reports. However we need better control of how distribute what to who. What we need is some middle ground between the two extreams. 

Have anyone encounter a similar situation or does anyone have any suggestions.  I appreciate all input! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As far as I'm aware you can't lock down  My Workspaces. Hence needing to do it via company policy.

It won't automatically delete old workspaces. As Fabric Tennant admin though if you go into Tennant settings you can see all workspaces and delete/take control (including my workspaces). 

Ben Dobbs

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
bcdobbs
Super User
Super User

I'd have a look through the power bi tennant settings. Specifically lock down to a security group who can create workspaces. Create workspaces and grant permissions on them for trusted report authors who work within your guidelines. You may have to "purge" older stuff outside of agreed setup. That way any reports are in known workspaces.

We also use another setting that reminds those publishing from desktop of company policy (literally can set any custom message). Ours state that reports must not be share from My Workspaces.

Ben Dobbs

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!
Appreciate your Kudos!!

Thank you, that's a very nice solution! 

If I lock down the tenant with the following 2 settings. 

1. Lock so people cannot share report from "My Workspace"

2. Lock the tenant, so regular users cannot create workspaces. Create a security group that can create workspaces. 

Will old workspaces created mangers automatically be deleted or will they still exist? 

If a security group user create a workspace, how do I get access to the workspace. I guess I don't get automatically access but the "trusted user" needs to invite me? How do you do deal with that? Or do you set up guidelines that a "trusted user" must invite a developer to the new workspace? 

As far as I'm aware you can't lock down  My Workspaces. Hence needing to do it via company policy.

It won't automatically delete old workspaces. As Fabric Tennant admin though if you go into Tennant settings you can see all workspaces and delete/take control (including my workspaces). 

Ben Dobbs

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors